Forum Discussion

MVA_60288
Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus
Aug 08, 2013

Lync 2013 mobile on Ipad - chat window closures

Hi DevCentral - We have Lync 2013 working great on the desktop but have a couple issues with Lync 2013 client on the iPad.

1. Open chat window to another Lync user, exchange words, when remote user closes chat window it closes window on iPad, too.

2. Open chat window to another Lync user, exchange words, after 10 mins the chat window on the iPad closes by itself. Remote chat window is still open.

Now Lync 2013 uses the external reverse proxy VIP on our edge F5 which routes to our internal reverse proxy VIP on the internal F5. I don't see any persistence setting on the external reverse proxy VIP, only a TCP profile with timeout of 30 minutes.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on where else to look?

thanks

Mel

5 Replies

mikeshimkus_111
    Historic F5 Account
    Hi Mel, I'll see if I can reproduce the issue here in my lab. Have you tried enabling logging on the Lync iPad client?

Also, is this affecting all iOS clients, or just iPad? Are you connecting to Lync 2013 servers as well, or Lync 2010?

thanks

Mike
    MVA
    Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
    Mike, we have enabled logging and have a case open with MS where we sent the logs. MS says they have not seen this before and suspect the hardware load balancer, suggesting we need to enable persistence. I enabled source address persistence and it didn't affect the problems.

It happens on all IOS so far, iphone/ipad. We are connecting to Lync 2013 servers only. Thanks Mike, I would be interested if you can reproduce in your lab.

Mel
    mikeshimkus_111
    Historic F5 Account
    That's odd. According to the MS documentation, persistence is not required for Lync web services when no Lync 2010 servers are in the deployment: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj656815.aspx

"Cookie-based affinity requirements are greatly reduced in Lync Server 2013 for Web services. If you are deploying Lync Server 2013 and will not retain any Lync Server 2010 Front End Servers or Front End pools, you do not need cookie-based persistence. However, if you will temporarily or permanently retain any Lync Server 2010 Front End Servers or Front End pools, you still use cookie-based persistence as it is deployed and configured for Lync Server 2010."

As you can also see from that article, when persistence is required, it must be cookie persistence, and there are some very specific requirements which we take care of in the iApp. If you redeploy the iApp and select "yes" to the question about whether you have Lync 2010 servers in your deployment, it will correctly configure the cookie persistence. That would prove or disprove their claim.

I just tested and did not see the problem when chatting between an iPhone and a desktop Lync client. Do you see the problem between iOS and desktops, or only when 2 iOS clients are chatting?

MVA
    The problem is between any client and the iOS device (iPhone/iPad). We've reproduced between iOS <-> desktop and between iOS<->iOS clients. We are running Lync 2013 servers and using the Lync 2013 client from the app store. Thanks for the testing feedback, it proves the Lync 2013 can work without these issues. I'll keep digging and post, hopefully, a resolution. :)
    MVA

Ok, follow up on this question I posted. Answer from Microsoft, this is working as expected! What can't be answered is why other's, including MS, can't reproduce our issue in their labs. Our only option at this point is to submit an enhancement request. Moving on....