Forum Discussion

kgaigl
Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
Dec 13, 2022

LTM Monitor ServicePort

Hello,

we've som new Pools with https-monitors (get some Pingservlet), and if I let the "Alias Service Port" unchanged, the Monitor fails.

If I set the Port to the same Port as the Poolmember are set, then it's ok

I thought, the Monitor would use the Port, that is configured in the Pool, is this not correct?

Thank you

9 Replies

• Hi kgaigl,

That is correct. The monitor will inherit the port used in Pool-Member settings as long as you did not said "All" ports on the Pool-Member level.

You may double check your settings?

Cheers, Kai

kgaigl

Hello Kai,

thank you, but could you tell me, if this is under Monitor or Pool.

In the Monitor the Alias Service Port the default-Setting is "All Ports", do you mean this?

• Hi kgaigl,

When you create a Pool Member, you can set it ports to "* All Services".

In this case, the Pool-Member will inherit the DST port of the VS when forwarding to it. The VS could also be set to * All Services, which would allow you to setup a VS-many-to-many-Pool port mapping. 

When working with such * All Services rule sets, then you have to keep in mind that the Health-Monitor wont know which port to monitor, so you have to specify a port at the Monitor-Level.

Only if you have specified a Port at your Pool-Member, the monitor will become able to inherit the Port of the Pool-Member via the default "* All services" option. 

Cheers, Kai

kgaigl

Kai_Wilke wrote:

Only if you have specified a Port at your Pool-Member, the monitor will become able to inherit the Port of the Pool-Member via the default "* All services" option. 

Ok Thank you, but this last sentence is my Problem, I think this has worked all the time, and with new pool not

But to be sure I set the Alias Port, otherwise I could use same Monitor for different Pools

btw: version is 16.1.3.1

• kgaiglIf your pool member has a port defined then the health monitor will absolutely inherit the pool when it performs the health check. To me it sounds like you did not set the service port to a single port when creating the pool members. If you could provide a screenshot of the pool configuration we should be able to direct you further to resolve your issue. If you need to provide a redacted configuration that will work as long as it shows the port associated to the pool member and the health monitor configuration that you are using.

kgaigl

ok, this is the Pool:

with this Monitor, Member is down:

with this Monitor the Member is up:

kgaigl

I've to correct me 🙄

when I first configured the Pool with the Monitor (all Ports), the Member didn't come up and I configured the Monitor with Port defiened.

Now I tested again the original Monitor, Member gets green 🤔

• Hi kgaigl,

Only the F5 god will know why. Glad you fixed the problem...😉

Cheers, Kai