Forum Discussion

El-Guapo_29797
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 30, 2013

LTM 11.2 "How to Remove Incomplete ARP"

We have re IP'd some servers, but SYNC From Primary F5 to Standby Unit fails due to standby F5 holding incomplete ARP entries on old Re IP'd Servers. Gui does not show any ARP entry on dynamic ARP. TMOS, shows the incomplete ARP via "show /net arp all | grep 10.212.224.51" but deleting via "delete /net arp 10.212.224.51". Can anyone assist? Thank you.

3 Replies

• Did you change self IP and pool member definition in your /config/bigip.conf and /config/bigip_base.conf and reloaded the configuration manually somehow? Perhaps you are dealing with an inconsistency of ASCII and binary configuration files of TMOS. How to recover depends a bit on the TMOS version.

Mismatching ARP tables should not prevent you from a successful config synchronization.

• Thank you for the answer. No.. I have not done any of those. I had a pool with 4 servers. I removed all nodes from pool.. then deleted all nodes with old IP.. then created new nodes with new IPs (in new subnet)... added new nodes to pool. but sync fails. The primary f5 does not have an arp entry of old removed IPs but secondary unit still shows those IP in arp with incomplete. Manually deleting arp entry via tmos does not fix and bad arp entry still exists.

• "Sync fails" means you cannot do a config sync and both BIG-IP are running with a different configuration?

I would lookup both LTM log facilities for error messages.

Just run the following on both machines during the next config sync attempt, please:
    tail -f /var/log/ltm   

Perhaps it´s just a missing route to the poolmembers as they are located in a remote subnet?