Forum Discussion

mj16othman
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Oct 26, 2020
Solved

Loadbalancing issue

Guys i have two pool members listening on same ports 443, 3151 and 8090. They want the F5 to loadbalncer to the second node if the primary node stops listening on just one port for example 80 and consider the whole node down and start sending traffic to the second one.

wlopez
    Oct 27, 2020

You can do something like:

One virtual server (Ex. 4.4.4.4:*), with one pool with two wildcard pool members (1.1.1.1:* Priority 2, 1.1.1.2:* Priority 1).

The pool will need several settings like Action on Service Down set to Reject, and Priority Group Activation set to 'Less than 1'.

Last but not least you will need to create and assign the pool three custom monitors (one per port, 80, 3151, 8090).

Hope that helps.

6 Replies

• There are many ways to achieve it but smartest way to go via Priority group activation. Hope below article will help you and so many video's are there internet.

https://devcentral.f5.com/s/question/0D51T00006i7Y5r/priority-group-activation-why-use-it

mj16othman
      Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus

Brother i do know about Priority group activation. But the problem is they want to failover to the secondary node only if one port on the primary fails, and consider the whole primary node regardless of the other working ports.

• First, your definition is wrong. It's not 2 pool members, it's 2 servers/nodes listening on ports. ​

From what I gather, you have a setup having 2 pool members (assume 1.1.1.1:80 & ​2.2.2.2:80), you want 2.2.2.2:80 to take traffic only when 1.1.1.1 nodes other services (assume 3151, 8090) also go down.

I'll go with creating 3 monitors and using AND condition to monitor the pool members. Then assign priority group with higher value to 1.1.1.1 so it takes the traffic all time. If any of the monitor fails, it would go to second member.

Share your requirement more clear if above not helps.​

• What i want, is lets say i have two servers in a poot member listening on below ports

Ports: 80, 8090 and 3151

Node: 1.1.1.1

Node: 1.1.1.2

Lets say first node with a priority of 1 (1.1.1.1) stop listening on port 80 but other ports are working ex: 3151 and 8090

automatically i want the f5 to consider the node 1.1.1.1 down on all ports and start shifting the traffic to the standby node 1.1.1.2

wlopez
      Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus

You can do something like:

One virtual server (Ex. 4.4.4.4:*), with one pool with two wildcard pool members (1.1.1.1:* Priority 2, 1.1.1.2:* Priority 1).

The pool will need several settings like Action on Service Down set to Reject, and Priority Group Activation set to 'Less than 1'.

Last but not least you will need to create and assign the pool three custom monitors (one per port, 80, 3151, 8090).

Hope that helps.

jaikumar_f5
      Icon for MVP rankMVP

At Op, you didn't you needed a wildcard VS, I was under the impression that you had a 443 VS and Pool member on port 80. But those pool members had dependencies on other ports you mentioned.

If that was the case, a simple VS with pool member on port 80, with 3 monitors in AND condition and PG setting would have done the job. NM, as long as you've got a solution, we are good.