Forum Discussion

Rcolbert25
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 11, 2019

Load Balancing Customization for Wide IP

In all of the Load Balancing Methods there seems to be a common theme that the top or primary Pool member will get most of the connections. Whether it be global availability where the top pool member in the list will get most of the connections, Or, whether it be ratio where the pool member with the highest percentage will get the most connections. In all of the methods once the top pool member is down the next pool member will get most of the connections and start to act as the "Primary" pool member. However, once the top or primary pool member is restored it starts to act as the primary pool member and connections. Is there a method that you can use that would allow for the primary to restore and not take on this role ?

Example....

I have a 2 pool members. Pool Member 1 is listed at the top and pool member 2 is listed next. Pool member 1 is getting most of the connections and pool member 2 is getting less connections. In the even that Pool member 1 goes down Pool member 2 would start to get all of the connections. Pool member 1 is restored but i want pool member 1 to now get less of the connections and for pool member 2 to stay as the priority.

1 Reply

• Hi Rcolbert25. This does not sound right. If you are not getting even distribution of connections among your pool members there are few things to look at. Doe's your virtual server have persistence enabled and if so what kind. In general, when persistence is enabled Big-IP will not make a load balancing decision on persistent connections. Also, there is not such concept as primary or secondary pool member unless explicitly configured. I would check where Priority Group Activation enabled and configured on the pool.