Forum Discussion

Aantat
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Feb 27, 2023

Is it possible to add remote device to BIG-IQ?

Hi team,

Is it possible to add remote device to BIG-IQ?

The document says that "The BIG-IP device must be located in your network", so It's not possible to manage BIG-IP devices located in another DC?

6 Replies

• Hi Aantat,

The phrase only means you must have IP connectivity. Same DC or otherwise 😉

/Mike

Aantat

So does it means that I can manage external BIG-IP device via VPN tunnel to second DC or it can be managed via public IP? Is there any kind of documentation about that?

• Aantat if you can route to it you can add it. Now I don't necessarily recommend send this communication over the general internet but it can be done.

Aantat

It should be routed via VPN tunnel to second DC or it can be managed via public IP? Is there any kind of documentation about that?

Paulius
        Icon for MVP rankMVP

Aantat If you can route to the BIG-IP device from the BIG-IQ you can add the remote device. Going over a VPN or public internet will most likely have too much latency for the BIG-IQ to manage the BIG-IP properly. The BIG-IQ can communicate out of any IP it has as long as you have the appropriate route and NAT if you are traversing the public internet. I don't know of any documentation that would go over those scenarios specifically because it's just the basics of routing so if you can route to it you can add it.

• Indeed, my previous response was a bit lacking. In K36398804 it is said: 

F5 recommends that you set up and manage the BIG-IQ HA configuration in a low network latency environment. While F5 does not provide a firm latency guideline, it is the general acceptable practice to keep latency between elements in a BIG-IQ HA configuration within 75ms. This includes links between BIG-IQ Centralized Management (CM), BIG-IQ Data Collection Devices (DCD), and BIG-IP devices.

While this latency is perfectly possible to achieve, even via internet, I do hope that's not what you're thinking about. I'm not even sure NAT is supported, and I've never tried any NAT configuration between BIG-IP and BIG-IQ.

/Mike