Forum Discussion

Ben_Novak
Icon for Employee rankEmployee
Jan 22, 2019

iRule hosted iQuery dashboard

I'm looking to create a dashboard of the status of iquery connections on a GTM for easy troubleshooting. I like the idea of hosting it in an irule.

So, I need to get information like the "tmsh show gtm iquery" command into a page hosted in an iRule.

I have been researching options and it seems that an API call will be needed to retrieve the data from somewhere, store it in a table and present it in an HTTP response. I have my own thoughts, but wanted to get some outside opinions.

How would you approach it? Do you recommend using tmsh scripting, Python, iCall, sideband connections or native irules?

This could show other things like global stats or system health, or a list of virtual servers without allowing access to the gui.

Ben

1 Reply

• If it were me i'd use iRulesLX to do a sideband out to the local platform REST interface. You can easily break down the JSON with iRulesLX and send back the information that you want. Should be dead simple. The only issue is that you need to include authentication credentials, but you could pass them through if you add an authentication interface.

The other way would be to use periodic iCall, update an iFile ( or datagroup ) and send the iFile in an iRule.