Forum Discussion

Thierry_LEQUER1
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Mar 05, 2020

HA -ACTIVE/STANDBY GUESTS with vCMP HOST(s) into i7800 or i5800

Hello,

i need to consolidate (agregate) many Big-IP 2000 LTM Clusters (ACTIVE/STANDBY) into 2 x i7800 by using vCMP.

I get 2 Datacenter sites DC1 , DC2).

My Clusters are local ( 2 x Big-IP(ACTIVE/STANDBY) located into 1 x DC (ex DC1) or stretched (ex 1 Big-IP ACTIVE located un DC1 , 1 Big-IP STANDBY located in DC2)

My questions:

1- can i consolidate (relocate) my local and my stretched Big-IP 2000 LTM Clusters into my 2 i7800 using vCMP?

2- do i need to define 2 x vCMP HOSTs in each i7800 or not?

3- how will work HA (ACTIVE/STANDBY) for a GUEST located into 1 x i7800?

Thanks a lot for your help.

6 Replies

• 1- can i consolidate (relocate) my local and my stretched Big-IP 2000 LTM Clusters into my 2 i7800 using vCMP?

∟ You can so long as they are running the same software version but due to the extreme difference in hardware capability and throughput it would not be ideal to remain in a state where you have mixed hardware servicing traffic. Typically you'll only join old and new hardware together to migrate to the new hardware then decommission the old hardware.

2- do i need to define 2 x vCMP HOSTs in each i7800 or not?

∟ An i7800 can either act as a VCMP host allowing it to have VCMP guests or it can be a dedicated device without guests and running the defined modules (similar to your 2000).

3- how will work HA (ACTIVE/STANDBY) for a GUEST located into 1 x i7800?

∟ Can you clarify your question?

K15496: Migrating a device group member to a new BIG-IP hardware platform

∟ This article might help with questions related to your concept.

Generally speaking this is how the devices should map to each other:

• Thanks a lot for your answer.

I will try to clarify my 3rd point. My question is simple in my mind but my English is not so good :)

I will try to use your figure to explain my request:

I need to run "2000_1 Standby" into a Guest intothe same hw i7800-a : to do that do i need to configure 2 VCMP HOSTS into the i7800-a ? (so "2000_1 "Active will run into vCMP HOST 1 into i7800-a and "2000_1 Standby" will run into vCMP HOST2 into i7800-a ?

or i don't need to do that so the 2 Guests ( "2000_1 Active" and "2000_1 Standby could run in the same vCMP HOST (into 7800-a) ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Do not put both your Active and Standby devices on the same VCMP host, this negates redundancy if the host has problems or goes hard down you lose both active and standby resulting in a site down

You need two i7800s, i7800-a and i7800-b. All Active VCMP guests (2000_1 Active) will go on i7800-a, all standby guests will go on i7800-b.

If that isn't an option then you will simply not configure HA and have all standalone guests on i7800-a with no redundancy.

• Hi Andrew, i understand well your point but i have to face a transition phase and my customer wants to put 2000_1 active and 20001_Standby into the same i7800-a .

So how can i do ? I saw a way to do that in configuring 2 VCMP HOSTs into the i7800-a : do you think i can do that ( configuring 2 VCMP HOSTS into one i7800-a ? , and getting High Availaibility (Active / Standby) with a Guest Active into a vCMP HOST-1 and the other Guest Standby in the other vCMP HOST -2 ?

thanks a lot in advance for your help.

• You cannot configure one i7800 to act as two hosts, this is impossible.

I would not recommend migrating the 2000 active/standby to a single i7800 hardware, you will no longer have redundancy as you now have a single hardware fail point.

If you migrated ALL your 2000 active/standby and the single i7800 died, you just lost ALL traffic for all applications, a true side wide outage.

To reiterate; DO NOT put both your active and standby devices on the same physical hardware.

• Hi Adrew , i understand by let me one more time to explain my challenge.

I inserted a figure for that.

Customer applications are doing their own load balancing between the two Cluster one in each DC ( 2x big ip 2000 in each and in target the two GUESTs in each i7800 .

it is transition phase we will target to your recommandations after taht transition phase.

So can i configure 2 GUESTs in HA in the same i7800 without configuring 2 VCMP in it ?