Forum Discussion

JBonnet
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Nov 30, 2022

F5 GTM Subdelegation

I am practicing sub delgeation exercise in the lab, in my DNS server I am delegating subdomain  wip.domain.com to the F5 devices, current zone file for domain.com:

$TTL    604800

@       IN      SOA     domain.com. admin.domain.com. (
                 57     ; Serial
                900     ; Refresh 15 mins
              86400     ; Retry
            2419200     ; Expire
             604800 )   ; Negative Cache TTL
;

; name servers - NS records
                        IN      NS      ns1.domain.com.
                        IN      NS      ns2.domain.com.
; name servers - A records

ns1.domain.com.         IN      A       192.168.242.200
ns2.domain.com.         IN      A       192.168.242.201

www.domain.com.       IN CNAME www.wip.domain.com.
wip.domain.com.       IN NS gtm1.wip.domain.com.
wip.domain.com.       IN NS gtm2.wip.domain.com.
gtm1.wip.domain.com.  IN      A       10.10.4.50
gtm2.wip.domain.com.  IN      A       172.16.14.50

In the F5 GTM device I created a wideip - www.wip.domain.com - this works returning the relevant A record.

Now I noticed when I created this, a zone was created in zonerunner "this.name.is.invalid"  which creates a default NS/SOA and A record (pointing to 127.0.0.1).

What is the correct process that must be done further? since any NS queries etc which are polled to the GTM respond with "this.name.is.invalid"

- should I update zonerunner with the subdomain zone records, I tried to do this from  https://support.f5.co/csp/article/K35603050 but adding a second nameserver in the zone failed  (gtm2.wip.domain.com).
- or should I create a primary/secondary nameserver on the GTM's for the subdomain?

Thank you in advance

1 Reply

xuwen
    Icon for Cumulonimbus rankCumulonimbus

The existing SOA and NS records of the zone under the zonerunner will not be overwritten by the above operations. I recommend you to delete the wideip www.wip.domain.com and then delete zone wip.domain.com under zonerunner
    Finally, modify the SOA and NS record values of the zone automatically generated by wideip:
    modify gtm global-settings general wideip-zone-nameserver gtm2.wip.domain.com.
    After the above steps are completed, you can create a wideip www.wip.domain.com, and then observe the SOA and NS records whether change to gtm2.wip.domain.com.

and create a another wideip www.test.com, and under the ZoneRunner zone test.com. 

its NS and SOA will also be gtm2.wip.domain.com.

Tips: low version in GTM, such as V12, wideip create zone default SOA and NS value is F5 hostname