Forum Discussion

Nenad_66450
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jul 08, 2010

Exchange 2010 Global address list issue

Hi guys,

I have an interesting problem when balancing exchange 2010. The setup is that we balance the connections to the exchange server by using BIGIP. The client traffic is balanced to 3 exchange servers, and sometimes it happens that when you open the address book you get the error message "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action". Has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it ?

4 Replies

• I haven't heard of this being an issue before on LTM. Are you able to reproduce the issue if you use a client and connect directly to one of the Exchange servers?

Here is a related thread with some MS KB links that might help:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrgeneral/thread/84de4213-a532-45da-b9c7-6fba8f4efb9a

If you do think it's an LTM issue, I'd suggest capturing tcpdumps on the ingress and egress VLAN(s) to try to determine exactly what's happening. If you need help capturing or analyzing tcpdumps, you can search the forums or AskF5.com for details, or open a case with F5 Support.

Aaron
  • I have this exact same issue when load balancing Exchange 2010 RCP client connections to the CAS array. I am working to reproduce the issue and capture that and then I will open a case and once I have a solution I will post. This is the only issue remaining before I am comfortable with rolling this into production.

• I have this exact same issue. I'll let you know if the TCP profile change helps! The v11 iApp configuration docs already have you modify the persistence profile, perhaps due to this thread...

• Increasing the timeout on the TCP profile for the RPC virtual servers was the key. Increased it to 2 hours and no disconnects for over 12 hours! No idea why I didn't see that before and this is something that F5 should add to their iApp configuration document for Exchange 2010.