Forum Discussion

sravan_87037
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 05, 2008

Cookie insert mechanism is not providing cookie

Hi,

I am using BIG IP F5 load balancer for load balancing my server. We are using " Cookie-Insert " mechanism for load balancing. The issue we are facing is if I send multiple http requests to the load balancer, I am getting Cookie only in the first request and remaining request are not served with the Cookie value.

When I explicitly closed the underlying TCP connection and tried multiple HTTP connection again I am getting Cookie only for the first HTTP request and we are notgetting cookie for remaining requests.

our topology is

Multiple Client -> Firewall -> BIG IP LB -> Servers

In this configuration, we are getting Cookie only for thr first client and remaining clients are not receiving any cookie.

When I explicitly closed TCP connection between Firewall and BIG IP and send request from multiple clients, still I am receiving Cookie only by the first client and remaining clients are not receiving it.

Any suggestions would be of great help ??

2 Replies

• If you're using cookie insert persistence without a timeout, LTM should set a persistence cookie in the first response. As the cookie doesn't time out there shouldn't be a need to insert the cookie again in subsequent requests as the browser should maintain it.

It sounds like you're running into a situation where there are multiple clients making HTTP requests over the same TCP connection. In this case you should configure a OneConnect profile on the VIP. Take a look at Deb's article on this:

OneConnect? For my iRule? (Click here)

If you really do want to insert the persistence cookie in every response where it was seen in the request, you can use an iRule. This shouldn't be necessary once you enable OneConnect though.

Session intermixing issue - due to Cookie not being sent every call? (Click here)

Aaron