Forum Discussion

11_9_20_12_39
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Apr 09, 2020

Connected people through F5 vpn

Is there a way to get the number of connected people on a particular day? So I just want to know how much employees have used there vpn connection on lets say the 4th of March. I see a lot of documentation and explanations on connections expressed in K or M values. What I need is the number of devices using the F5 vpn client. I already went through the gui and now cli but I can't find it. Or I look over it.

On the gui you can see graphs like "Total New Connections" or "Active Sessions" or "Active Network Access Connections" and then select per day, week or month. But this graph gives me an average I think. And it is not a vast number or value. You have to guess. I my example it could be 180 or 190. Is there something possible in cli with grep and search for a particular time/date?

I am new to F5. Thanks to take this into consideration.

Added:

I found this :

Does this means maximum 500 devices can connect and at this moment 176 are connected?

Still have to find if I can call up this info for a particular date.

1 Reply

• You can get the current values either by showing the license or via SNMP:

K19131297:  Viewing the number of concurrent access sessions and connectivity sessions on the BIG-IP APM system

If you want to track connectivity over time, then you can use an external SNMP monitoring tool (mrtg or Solar Winds) to collect the statistics and graph them.

It is harder to get that information from the BigIP itself - there are some statistics snapshots, but there are no simple tools for querying the statistics data, and the data is aggregated over time to provide less detail.

One option is to create and upload a QKView - in the Graphs options there are Custom Interactive graphs which give options for exploring historic data.

Finally, the data used to create the graphs is stored in rrd

You can use rrdtool fetch to query this data

rrdtool fetch /var/rrd/access AVERAGE [-r|--resolution <resolution>] [-s|--start <start_time>] [-e|--end <end_time>]

However, currently the BigIP only records the AVERAGE in rrd over the data aggregation time period, not MAX, so it effectively provides the same information as in the graphs at the same level of detail.