Forum Discussion

May 10, 2021
Solved

BIG-IQ reports capabilities and licensing.

Hi,

I'm just newbie in the BIG-IQ solution, so apologize in advance for this question if too easy.

I've just deployed a BIG-IQ VM in a VMware farm, only with the F5-BIQ-VE-LAB License Management for 25 Devices.

With it, I can add my two existing BIG-IP LTM and perform the configuration management of both.

I have no Data Collection Device deployed since for that, I assume I must get a license that uses the SKU: F5-BIQ-VE-LOG-NODE.

My problem is that with my current deployment, I cannot obtain almost any report at all.

Should I buy a LOG license and deploy a DCD to get reporting capabilities?

Best regards.

Albert.

• Hi Albert,

Yes and no...

Yes, you need to have a DCD for the logging capabilies, but no, you don't need to buy a license for it. For a few years, the F5-BIQ-VE-LOG-NODE license was a zero-cost license; after F5 recognised that nobody wants to buy BigIQ licenses purely for a log node, it was a kind of placeholder to make it work.

Since version 7.1, the license is no longer needed either, and you can build a DCD node without a license. When building the DCD, in the initial wizard, simply select skip or "no license" and you can continue.

Hope this helps.

2 Replies

• Hi Albert,

Yes and no...

Yes, you need to have a DCD for the logging capabilies, but no, you don't need to buy a license for it. For a few years, the F5-BIQ-VE-LOG-NODE license was a zero-cost license; after F5 recognised that nobody wants to buy BigIQ licenses purely for a log node, it was a kind of placeholder to make it work.

Since version 7.1, the license is no longer needed either, and you can build a DCD node without a license. When building the DCD, in the initial wizard, simply select skip or "no license" and you can continue.

Hope this helps.