Forum Discussion

Ajene
Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus
Jan 02, 2020

Big-IP DNS - Bulk (Batch) Zone transfer

I have a customer with 192 zones on an older Big-IP GTM device. I've implemented a newer version of Big-IP DNS (vCMP). The customer is using the Big-IP DNS as the master for all the zone files, therefore local BIND on the F5 appliances are being used. Not DNS Express. The question I have is, is there a way to transfer over the zones in bulk? According to the documentation, it seems like this can only be done one at a time. In other words, is it possible to transfer more than one zone at a time? If so, is there a maximum limit? If not, that is OK, I just want to know what is theoretically possible and so far, I can't find any documentation that references this capability.

2 Replies

teeva
    Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

This is done through zone transfers.

Most DNS servers automatically notifies secondary servers whenever changes are made through a NOTIFY request, and most DNS servers will request a Zone Transfer whenever such a notification is received.

You can specify if Simple DNS Plus should send these NOTIFY requests to secondary DNS servers in the Options dialog / DNS / Miscellaneous section.

Hope this will help you.

Regards Teeva Ln - cat feeders