Forum Discussion

Greg_33558
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jun 11, 2015

ASM: How to expand length limits for select URLs?

I have an ASM policy where I've left the Request Length and POST Data Length at the defaults (5000/1000). This is fine for 99.9% of the site, but I do have a /fileUpload URL which is expected to exceed these limits every time it's used. The parameter named 'file' is used to upload documents and images, so I've created a 'file' parameter which has unlimited length:

However, file uploads still trigger Illegal POST data length and Illegal request length violations - increasing the limit for that parameter doesn't help because the overall request still violates those restrictions.

How can I increase the Request and POST data lengths for just this URL? I only need large uploads on this one URL, but I don't want to loosen the restrictions over the rest of the site to allow it.

Update

Here are two example violations, the first from a Production system in Transparent mode, the second from a Development system in Blocking mode. The Development policy was exported and then imported into the Production device, and upon re-export they're essentially equivalent except insofar as the signature bases differ between the two systems.

Here's the Transparent system with a .tiff file, HTTP Content-Length is 227323 bytes:

Here's the Blocking system with a .tiff file, HTTP Content-Length is 11934876 bytes:

I can't even seem to trigger the same violations on my Development box, and can only trigger by going with a much larger file. It's a little distressing.

5 Replies

NikhilB_149913
    Historic F5 Account

When you click on either of the violations what do they say? (can you post here)

The post/query length relate to file types that you have accepted. Is there one you can associate/create for this upload?

If you uncheck the 'block' button for the 2 violations and leave learn/alarm buttons checks on, how many violations does it pick up on? (are length violations a serious concern for your web app you are trying to protect?)

gowenfawr
      I've updated the initial post with click-throughs on all the details on two different systems; hopefully those details will shed some light. The F5 determines that these are "no_ext", even though the file upload was .tiff in both cases. I will try creating a .tiff extension and seeing if I can then exempt these uploads from the size restrictions that way. This ASM policy has been in Transparent mode on our Production site for 48 hours; in that time it would have blocked 415 uploads as a result of this issue. There is one URL that is used to upload files; all other forms across the site have much smaller input (e.g., the login form is only going to take a few dozen characters as input). It is reasonable to want to limit length on the vast majority of the site, but to allow greater lengths on an upload form - the length restrictions wouldn't exist if there wasn't a basic security value on the average form. I appreciate your help!
  • When you click on either of the violations what do they say? (can you post here)

The post/query length relate to file types that you have accepted. Is there one you can associate/create for this upload?

If you uncheck the 'block' button for the 2 violations and leave learn/alarm buttons checks on, how many violations does it pick up on? (are length violations a serious concern for your web app you are trying to protect?)

gowenfawr
      I've updated the initial post with click-throughs on all the details on two different systems; hopefully those details will shed some light. The F5 determines that these are "no_ext", even though the file upload was .tiff in both cases. I will try creating a .tiff extension and seeing if I can then exempt these uploads from the size restrictions that way. This ASM policy has been in Transparent mode on our Production site for 48 hours; in that time it would have blocked 415 uploads as a result of this issue. There is one URL that is used to upload files; all other forms across the site have much smaller input (e.g., the login form is only going to take a few dozen characters as input). It is reasonable to want to limit length on the vast majority of the site, but to allow greater lengths on an upload form - the length restrictions wouldn't exist if there wasn't a basic security value on the average form. I appreciate your help!