Forum Discussion

Michael_Harpe
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Nov 23, 2022
Solved

APM TCP connection limit K38157145

I encountered this issue today when trying to troubleshoot a problem that presented as TCP ACK/RSTs being sent from a VS using APM. I found the problem while getting data together for a ticket. Erro...
    Nov 24, 2022

Hi Michael,

you may check the landing URI's of such in-progress sessions. It happens very often that APM timed out browser session still performing certain API calls which are starting lots of new APM sessions.   

I regulary use a black-list of URI's which should not create a new APM session to avoid exhaustion of the Per-IP limits. 

when HTTP_REQUEST {

#log "Unset all Temporary and HTTP-Request variables (if exists) on each received HTTP request."

unset -nocomplain req temp

}
    when ACCESS_SESSION_STARTED priority 170 {

#log "Fetch the landing URI from APM session."

set temp(landinguri) [ACCESS::session data get "session.server.landinguri"]

#log "Checking if the landing URI is eliglible to start a new APM session."

switch -glob -- $temp(landinguri) {

"/api.jsp" -
    		"/some-other-api.jsp" -
    		"/some-api-related-path*" {

#log "The landing URI is not eliglible to start a new APM session. Redirecting the user to the APM hangup page."

ACCESS::respond 302 \
    							noserver \
    							"Location" "/vdesk/hangup.php3"

#log "Marking the APM session to get killed during HTTP_RESPONSE_RELEASE event."

set req(kill_apm_session_on_http_response_release) 1
    		}
    	}

}
    when HTTP_RESPONSE_RELEASE {

if { [info exists req(kill_apm_session_on_http_response_release)] } then {

#log "Passing the ongoing HTTP response to client while killing the APM user session."

ACCESS::session remove
    	}
    }

Beside of killing those automated session creations as soon as they start a new APM session, you may also check if certain IPs of Proxy Servers are exhausting the limits regulary. In this case you may take a look to an iRule snipped I used in the past to enforce relaxed APM Per-IP session limits for well-known high traffic sources.

Enforcing individual APM Policy "In Progress Sessi... - DevCentral (f5.com)

Cheers, Kai