Enforcing individual APM Policy "In Progress Sessions Limits"

Problem this snippet solves:

Hi Folks,

the iRule below can be used to enforce individual APM Policy "In Progress Sessions Limits" per source IP address.

The iRule make use of

[class match]
to retrive custom settings for individual client IPs and then uses
[table]
to count and finally enforce the individual "In Progress Sessions Limits" for APM authentication.

Cheers, Kai

How to use this snippet:

1. Tweak the provided data-group and RULE_INIT section as needed.
  2. Import the data-group and iRule to your device.
  3. Attach the iRule to your APM enabled Virtual Server.
  4. Open different APM authentication sessions (via InPrivate browsing) to see if the iRule is able to block further APM session creations if the counter is reached.

Code :

ltm data-group internal DG_APM_SESSION_LIMITS {
    records {
        1.1.1.1/32 {
            data 50
        }
        2.2.2.0/24 {
            data 100
        }
    }
    type ip
}
when RULE_INIT {
    set static::inprogress_session_limit 5
    set static::access_policy_timeout 300
}
when ACCESS_SESSION_STARTED {
    log local0.debug "Started"
    if { [set SessionLimit [class lookup "[ACCESS::session data get "session.user.clientip"]" "DG_APM_SESSION_LIMITS"]] eq "" } then {
        set SessionLimit $static::inprogress_session_limit
    }
    if { [table keys -count -subtable "APMSessions_[ACCESS::session data get "session.user.clientip"]"] > $SessionLimit } then {
        ACCESS::respond 200 content "

To many concurrent logon sessions from your IP address

" noserver "Content-Type" "text/html" ACCESS::session remove log local0.debug "Login from client IP \"[ACCESS::session data get "session.user.clientip"]\" was blocked. Too many inprogress sessions..." } else { table add -subtable "APMSessions_[ACCESS::session data get "session.user.clientip"]" "[ACCESS::session data get "session.user.sessionid"]" 1 indefinite $static::access_policy_timeout } } when ACCESS_POLICY_COMPLETED { table delete -subtable "APMSessions_[ACCESS::session data get "session.user.clientip"]" "[ACCESS::session data get "session.user.sessionid"]" }

Tested this on version:

Updated Jun 06, 2023
Version 2.0

Was this article helpful?

5 Comments

• Hi,

this is an interesting irule.

For better user experience, I should have set an APM session variable in ACCESS_SESSION_STARTED

ACCESS::session data set "session.custom.tomanysession" 1

instead of

ACCESS::respond 200 content "To many concurrent logon sessions from your IP address" noserver "Content-Type" "text/html"
    ACCESS::session remove

and added a empty box in VPE with branch with expression

expr { [mcget {session.custom.tomanysession}] != 0 }
    to dedicated policy ending with message:

To many concurrent logon sessions from your IP address

with this solution, the response page format is the same as access profile.

• Hi Stanislas,

Cool suggestion. I'll definately include this appeoach when I update this post (it has currently some code glitches).

Cheers, Kai

• Hello,

Is there any way to replace the default value (in rule INIT: set static::inprogress_session_limit 5) on the APM profile?

Else, we have to set the default value (in APM profile) higher than the highest value of the datagroup because the APM profile's feature remains active.

Am i wrong?

Thanks,

• Hi Sensoo L,

you can set the access profile max in progress session to 0 (unlimited)!

• Good Solution,

But in my scenario i am looking to limit 'ESTABLISHED' sessions per IP. Is this possible?