Forum Discussion

Rick_Nyman
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 23, 2009

XMPP with STARTTLS

I love the simplicity of SSL offload using standard SSL/TLS. Unfortunately, I've recently been given a requirement to do XMPP (an Instant Messaging protocol) using STARTTLS.

I found the excellent examples of IMAP and SMTP using STARTTLS, but it appears that XMPP is a different animal. To start, it's XML based. In addition, it appears to keep track of client requests and will not respond to what it thinks are repeat requests.

Here's what I have so far (Caveat - I do a little bit of PERL coding, but don't know much about TCL, so there may be fundamental issues with this script). At a basic level, this script starts by watching the server output and when it sees a stream:features XML tag, it inserts the STARTTLS capability. At that point, it starts watching client traffic - and expects to see the client requesting encryption. At that point, it starts encryption locally.

Anyone here familiar with XMPP?

Thanks all,

Rick

Last week's code

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED {

SSL::disable

}

when SERVER_CONNECTED {

TCP::collect

}

when CLIENT_DATA {

set lcpayload [string tolower [TCP::payload]]

if { $lcpayload starts_with " TCP::respond "\r\n"

TCP::payload replace 0 [TCP::payload length] ""

TCP::release

SSL::enable

} else {

TCP::respond "TLS is required on this stream - you sent $lcpayload\r\n"

}

}

when SERVER_DATA {

if {[string first "" [TCP::payload]] == -1 } {

}

else {

regsub {\} [TCP::payload] {} changed

TCP::payload replace 0 [TCP::payload length] $changed

clientside { TCP::collect }

}

}

I received the following feedback from our XMPP expert

as I described in mail from last week, there are subsequent requests generated by the client as each feature is negotiated. What is happening is the server responds back w/ a list of (which the F5 rewrites as it is being sent to the client); the client negotiates TLS; then the client sends another request. The server receives this, but will *not* respond back... from the server's perspective, the client has simply made two requests and hasn't negotiated a feature yet.

Last night's rule - I'm still waiting for feedback

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED {

SSL::disable

}

when SERVER_CONNECTED {

}

when CLIENT_DATA {

set clientdata [string tolower [TCP::payload]]

if { $clientdata starts_with " TCP::respond ""

SSL::enable

} elseif { $clientdata contains " TCP::respond $serverdata

} else {

TCP::respond "TLS is required on this stream - you sent $clientdata"

}

}

when SERVER_DATA {

if {[string first "" [TCP::payload]] == -1 } {

}

else {

set serverdata [TCP::payload]

regsub {\} $serverdata {} changed

TCP::payload replace 0 [TCP::payload length] $changed

clientside { TCP::collect }

}

}

12 Replies

• Hi All,

I am trying to integrate F5 between XMPP server (like openfire,CISCO) and Our XMPP Module( that act as xmpp server). currently Our module is doing the TLS +SASL with XMPP servers. now we need to delegate the TLS part towards F5.

could someone help in providing the information that what irules we need to create for this? Like In XMPP , befor TLS negotiation, streams and features(like starttls) exchanged between client and server, so does this will need to be handled at F5 level , or Our module will handle the same, and only TLS ( certificate exchange) part will be delegated to F5. I am new to TCL language.

How would i apply this code to my scenario. Please let me know if you need more information. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ravish Aggarwal

brice
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Just wanted to update this thread due to some changes in TCP::collect in v11. This actually caused a production issue on a very highly utilized instance. We had a seperate issue that was causing connections to this VIP to be held open. Because the connections weren't terminating, this irule quickly (4-8 hours) ran tmm out of memory.

See SOL6578 regarding the changes to TCP::collect memory usage in v11.