Forum Discussion

Lapsio
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Dec 28, 2018

VS Profiles behavior when policy redirects to another VS

When I use LTM policy that redirects one vs to another how profiles assigned to virtual servers behave? Lets say I use compression profile - if I'd assign compression profile to both virtual servers will content be compressed twice or cached twice by caching profile?

Of course it may be bad example because probably F5 doesn't recompress already compressed content and maybe its cache is more content aware but the point is - are profiles applied independently to each layer just as if such vs would run on another, independent physical F5? So that if I want certain profile to be applied across whole flow end-to-end do I need to assign such profile to all virtual servers on the path?

1 Reply

• When targeting another virtual server, either with an LTM policy or an iRule, the traffic is forwarded to next virtual server in line after the traffic has been processed. This means that certain profiles such as access profiles and decompression profiles only need to be applied to the first virtual server that the traffic hits.

There are some restrictions however. An SSL profile with the same certificate is needed in every virtual server the traffic hits and content profiles need to be applied if the virtual server is to edit or trigger any events for that content type, such as HTTP iRules. It seems to be very dependent on what you are doing and what profiles are needed.

Hope this helps.