Forum Discussion

Andreas_Wall_29
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 13, 2017
Solved

route domains in vCMP guest

Hi,

This has probably been answered somewhere in here but have not been able to find anything definitive. We are running a couple of vCMP guests on a BIG-IP 7250V system. we are using route domains and partitions. Today we ran in to a problem that gave us indications that the route domain ID has to be unique across all vCMP guests and the vCMP host. I was under the impression that the vCMP guests did not share this in some way. Can someone clarify?

Thanks!

//Andreas

• I used same route domain IDs across multiple VCMPs and never had any issue. VCMPs don't have any visibility over other VCMP's config and I believe route domain ID is not being shared.

3 Replies

• I used same route domain IDs across multiple VCMPs and never had any issue. VCMPs don't have any visibility over other VCMP's config and I believe route domain ID is not being shared.

• Farshadd is correct in his statement that route domain ID's aren't shared between different vCMP-guests. After some troubleshooting we found that we're affected by this bug:

https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K42807763

A failed deletion of an old partition(and it's route-domain) prevented us from using the same route-domain ID for a new partition. The deleted partition can be quite hard to find since it's not visible under Users-Partition List and config related to the partition is only visible in read-only mode.

• Treat vCMP guests as different devices. one guests cannot oversee the route domain configuration on another. You can use either same route domain id or different one according to your choice.

Always remember, route-domains are within devices and no visibility outside.

-Jinshu