Forum Discussion

leo_song
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 07, 2023
Solved

r5900 Tenant BIG-IP 15.1.5 -> 15.1.10.2 Upgrade

Good day.

I am planning to upgrade our r5900 BIG-IP 15.1.5 tenat up to 15.1.10.2, and this will be our very first BIG-IP upgrade after we migrated it from i7500.

When I deployed this BIG-IP tenant I downloaded 15.1.5_Tenant-F5OS / BIGIP-15.1.5-0.0.10ALL-F5OS.qcow.zip.bundle, after reading the rSeries document. "Tenants are upgraded via the normal TMOS upgrade process. Find the proper ISO image and ensure it is of a supported rSeries release and upload it into the TMOS tenant. Once uploaded you can upgrade and boot into the new version. Currently rSeries does not allow an upgrade of the tenant from inside the F5OS layer; you must perform the upgrade from inside the tenant."

So I will just need to download BIGIP-15.1.10.2-0.0.2.iso and treat it as a normal BIG-IP upgrade. Is my understanding correct? Or is there anything I need to be aware of? Thanks.

Leo

• Yes Leo_Song,

You just need to download BIGIP-15.1.10.2-0.0.2.iso and treat it as a normal BIG-IP upgrade.

F5OS or Velos OS is only applicable on r series Physical hardware or we called HOST or Parent device

Normal TMOS OS is applicable on VM instances or child machines or guest Machines or in r sreries we call them TENANT like these child VM are on rent like ina building.

Tenant Upgrades

Tenants are upgraded via the normal TMOS upgrade process. Find the proper ISO image and ensure it is of a supported rSeries release and upload it into the TMOS tenant. Once uploaded you can upgrade and boot into the new version. Currently rSeries does not allow an upgrade of the tenant from inside the F5OS layer; you must perform the upgrade from inside the tenant.

NOTE: Currently rSeries does not provide a shared image repository for all tenants to upgrade from. With vCMP guests, iSeries allowed for an image to be loaded once into the host layer, and all tenants had access to that repository to use to upgrade.

Link for r series Parent/Host Hardware upgrade and lower section talks about TENANT OS upgrades:

https://clouddocs.f5.com/training/community/rseries-training/html/rseries_software_upgrades.html

https://techdocs.f5.com/en-us/f5os-a-1-0-0/f5-rseries-systems-installation-upgrade.html

Hope this Helps

šŸ™

ā€ƒ

2 Replies

• Yes Leo_Song,

You just need to download BIGIP-15.1.10.2-0.0.2.iso and treat it as a normal BIG-IP upgrade.

F5OS or Velos OS is only applicable on r series Physical hardware or we called HOST or Parent device

Normal TMOS OS is applicable on VM instances or child machines or guest Machines or in r sreries we call them TENANT like these child VM are on rent like ina building.

Tenant Upgrades

Tenants are upgraded via the normal TMOS upgrade process. Find the proper ISO image and ensure it is of a supported rSeries release and upload it into the TMOS tenant. Once uploaded you can upgrade and boot into the new version. Currently rSeries does not allow an upgrade of the tenant from inside the F5OS layer; you must perform the upgrade from inside the tenant.

NOTE: Currently rSeries does not provide a shared image repository for all tenants to upgrade from. With vCMP guests, iSeries allowed for an image to be loaded once into the host layer, and all tenants had access to that repository to use to upgrade.

Link for r series Parent/Host Hardware upgrade and lower section talks about TENANT OS upgrades:

https://clouddocs.f5.com/training/community/rseries-training/html/rseries_software_upgrades.html

https://techdocs.f5.com/en-us/f5os-a-1-0-0/f5-rseries-systems-installation-upgrade.html

Hope this Helps

šŸ™

ā€ƒ

• For rxxx devices that are appliences this does not sound like an issue that you can't upgrade them from the F5OS but for Velos Chassis that are not a single blade well if you upgrade from the tenant if a blade goes down and there is RMA then the new blade will not be added to the tenant as the F5OS will not have the upgaded image to configure the blade.

Seen this issue on VIPRION. Maybe VELOS now supports this but I have not played with VELOS in a long time and maybe if it doesn't you will need to install the image in the tenant upgrade it and then the same F5OS image to be installed on Velos.

I am just adding this as a note