Forum Discussion

Geethanjali_321
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Oct 25, 2012

Packet filter does not work

HI All,

I have implemented a packet filter to block access to a VS from all IP addresses except one. I tried the same through an iRule. But it did not seem to work. Here is the iRule:

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED {
 if { [IP::addr [IP::client_addr] equals x.x.x.x] } {
 drop
 return
}
}

When I tried doing the same with packet filter, by creating a rule which says,

"action:accept" for "source ip:x.x.x.x" and "destination ip: (the ip for that virtual service)".

This should allow only this x.x.x.x ip to access the virtual service. But, all the IPs are having access to the virtual service and looks like the rule is not implemented correctly. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks and Regards,

Geethanjali

15 Replies

• Hi,

I am not able to access this through the GUI. I don't find an option under system

nathe
    Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
    What user role are you?

Specifies log access by user role. You can allow or deny access for each user role except Administrator and Resource Administrator, which are always set to Allow. When the field is set to Deny, the Logs tab is not present for users of that role type, and trying to access the log directly results in a no-access message.

• Hi,

I am sorry. I got it now. Can you please explain what this code does? I understood the basic function, that it rejects all other IPs apart from the ones in the data group ip_class. But I dindn't get the log.local0 part and the server connected's syntax...Can you please expalin it to me?

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED {
       if { ! [class match -- [IP::client_addr] equals ip_class] } {
          log local0. "Reject [IP::client_addr]:[TCP::client_port] -> [IP::local_addr]:[TCP::local_port]"
          reject
       }
    }
    when SERVER_CONNECTED {
       log local0. "Allow [IP::client_addr]:[TCP::client_port] -> [clientside {IP::local_addr}]:[clientside {TCP::local_port}] -> [IP::remote_addr]:[TCP::remote_port]"
    }
    }

Thanks and Regards,

Geethanjali

nathe
    Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
    See https://devcentral.f5.com/wiki/irules.server_connected.ashx

The log local0. command is simply grabbing all the information it gets from the request in the [] brackets e.g. the client ip address/port, and writing a log to detail the connection in a readable format.