Forum Discussion

Striker_79_1498
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Apr 04, 2014

F5 BIG IP APM Portal access question - Trouble with VPN when sharing internet connection from phone

Hello,

I have an issue with my F5 BIG IP APM VPN access policy. When establishing the vpn connection from a computer connected to WLAN or Ethernet DNS query works flawless.

When sharing my internet connection from iphone, connecting computer to iphone via WLAN, opening VPN client on computer, DNS query does not work properly. It routes the ip address to my dns servers outside the tunnell. I use Split tunnel and the ip address of the dns servers are listed in IPV4 LAN Address Space under network settings under Network access.

Why does everything work when connected to WLAN or Ethernet, but not when connected to shared internet from phone? I can ping any other address than the ip of dns servers, witch is routed outside tunnell.

17 Replies

kunjan

I believe you configured the VPN DNS server in the Network Access.

Can you try using DNS relay proxy service, if have not tried it? Install as part of the edgeclient installation.

• I have tried the component installer, but dns proxy service seem not to be a part of it. Can you help me with how to install the dns relay proxy and verify the service?

regards

kunjan

Which version are you using? If 11.4, it's under Customize client package. Once installed the service is run under name F5FltSrv.

Striker_79_1498
      I´m running 11.4 In the customize client package the dns proxy is checked. I have installed this pacakage on the computer, but this does not solve the problem. Any other suggestions?
  • Which version are you using? If 11.4, it's under Customize client package. Once installed the service is run under name F5FltSrv.

Striker_79_1498
      I´m running 11.4 In the customize client package the dns proxy is checked. I have installed this pacakage on the computer, but this does not solve the problem. Any other suggestions?
  • May be check if the DNS server issued by iPhone and that issued by VPN is it overlapped.

You have mentioned that can't ping the VPN DNS servers.. You can check the route print and verify if the VPN DNS server route goes to the VPN adapter IP address.

Striker_79_1498
      When sharing internet Connection from and phone to a computer and Connect to VPN from computer the DNS server ip address is routed to the ip address of the phone isp ip, and not the computer VPN adapter ip address. When Connected to a wlan, Connected vpn the dns is routed to the VPN adapter ip. The problem is only when Connected to vpn With shared internet Connection from phone. It then routes ip address to dns server outside the vpn tunnell...
    kunjan

May be check if the DNS server issued by iPhone and that issued by VPN is it overlapped.

You have mentioned that can't ping the VPN DNS servers.. You can check the route print and verify if the VPN DNS server route goes to the VPN adapter IP address.

Striker_79_1498
      When sharing internet Connection from and phone to a computer and Connect to VPN from computer the DNS server ip address is routed to the ip address of the phone isp ip, and not the computer VPN adapter ip address. When Connected to a wlan, Connected vpn the dns is routed to the VPN adapter ip. The problem is only when Connected to vpn With shared internet Connection from phone. It then routes ip address to dns server outside the vpn tunnell...
    kunjan

Able to provide the ipconfig and route print from computer?

Striker_79_1498
      Hello, Under Network access-network settings i selected client settings: Advanced When unchecking "Allow local DNS Server" it solved the problem :-)
      Anilrp_225647
      I am running into same issue. Can you guide me steps to resolve it. Where did you found "Allow local DNS Server"?
      Striker_79_1498
      Hello, Under Network access-network settings i selected client settings: Advanced When unchecking "Allow local DNS Server" it solved the problem :-)
      Anilrp_225647
      I am running into same issue. Can you guide me steps to resolve it. Where did you found "Allow local DNS Server"?
  • Select Access Policy , Select Network Access/Network Access List, Select your Policy, Select Network Settings

The option to enable or disable local DNS is there.