Forum Discussion

pavan_70758
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Nov 12, 2010

F5 API

Hello,

I have used F5 api (icontrol+php) to get the LB info. This api gives only pool name and members ip and port using get-list nad get-member methods. I would also like to get pool ip(vip) and members name.

Kindly help.

Thanks,

Pavan

6 Replies

• I'm not quite sure what you are asking regards a pool ip(vip). The VIP is the top level object. The VIP is defined by a string "name" and has a "default pool" attribute that is the "name" of the pool. From the pool you can query the pool members "ip:port". If you are looking at getting the member "names", it's not really defined like that. The user friendly names that are displayed in the GUI are actually the "Node Address" names. If you go into the GUI under "Local Traffic" and then "Nodes", you'll see you can set a user friendly name for the node.

Now, if you want to query pool members node names, you'll have to take the IP address of the PoolMember and call the LocalLB.NodeAddress.get_screen_name method()

http://devcentral.f5.com/wiki/default.aspx/iControl/LocalLB__NodeAddress__get_screen_name.html

You can pass in all the pool member addresses and will get back a list of names. Keep in mind that unless you specifically configured them, they may be empty in which case you'll want to use the address.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

-Joe

• Thanks a lot Joe.

Can we get the VIP ips. and also can we get member information like number of connections/ bandwidth per server and what other parameters of a server are available.

Thanks,

Pavan

• Pavan: to answer your questions:

1) Yes, have a look at the VirtualAddress wsdl and the get_list() method specifically.

2) Maybe, depending upon what you're after. For this I'd have a look at the Statistics interface inside of the System module.

-Matt
  • Hi Matt/Joe,

1. I could retrieve the vip ips usiong get_list method.

2. the other thing what i need was for example:

I would need the (cur, max, limit, tot), (pkts,bits) in, requests (total) for the VIP and the pool members.

VIRTUAL v-XXX SERVICE http

| PVA acceleration none

| (cur, max, limit, tot) = (0, 0, 0, 0)

| (pkts,bits) in = (0, 0), out = (0, 0)

| requests (total) = 0

+-> POOL p-XXX LB METHOD ratio MIN/CUR ACTIVE MEMBERS 0/24

| (cur, max, limit, tot) = (0, 0, 0, 0)

| (pkts,bits) in = (0, 0), out = (0, 0)

+-> POOL MEMBER p-YYY/74.86.xx.xx:http active,up

| | session enabled priority 0 ratio 1

| | (cur, max, limit, tot) = (0, 0, 0, 0)

| | (pkts,bits) in = (0, 0), out = (0, 0)

| | requests (total) = 0

Please help me out.

Thanks,

Pavan

• Pavan, that's great. Do you mind sharing what it was that got things working for you?

-Joe