Forum Discussion

dev_rez
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jun 30, 2023

Export VS, Pool and WAF information to CSV file.

Hi,

Can anyone share how we export virtual servers, pools, and WAF or ASM features are active to CSV files?

• dev_rez From my understanding you can only export statistics this way and I am not aware of a way to export the configuration in this manner. You can probably write a script to convert it for you but that's about it. You could try this but this isn't anything official.

https://github.com/jonjozwiak/f5-conf-to-csv

What is your requirement that makes it so you have to have the configuration in a CSV file? Each of these pieces of configuration that you mention have a lot of configuration options and most likely will not look well in a CSV.

• Hi dev_rez , 

Follow this Article >>>> you will be able to export Virtual sevrers ( IPs , Names ) and it's attached pools: 
    https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K72255145

move the results to TXT file ( file.txt) , and you can convert txt file format to excel format , you can use any online tool or excel APP itself. 

Regarding ASM policies >>> you can do it manually , or maybe you can modify the script in the above article , unfortunatley I am not strong enough with scripts to help you to export ASM policies automatically as well.

I hope this helps you 🙂 

• Why are using CSV files? Hope you are not mired at a company that keeps insisting on using spreadsheets for EVERYTHING! So this requires some discussion on "what *should* be used" depending on what you are trying to accomplish:

- CSV: If you have some exective or manager requiring this because they want to keep you busy or look important, well you are out of luck. You probably need to work on this fruitless endeavor.

- UCS Archive Backups: These should be used to perform regular backups, pre/post change and prior to any upgrades. Also, useful to have off box nighly in case you later need to perform a delta/diff and fix an admin snafu.

- GITHUB: With F5 moving to multi-tenant F5OS, mult-tenant/partitions on deployed applications (FAST templates), and imperative/declarative programming/automation, one should embrace Github! You can keep JSON files there for the purpose of leveraging the F5 API, or you can simply store the base /conf files so you can easily compare configurations.

- Ansible: Why not automate? With Ansible, and Ansible Tower, you can perform a scheduled configuration dump and email people. Just recently, I setup a process for a customer to find all active iRules, store them in a zipped archive, and email them out to both the network/application teams. You could do the same with Virtual Servers/Pools.

- Statistics: If you just need an operations snapshot, just copy/paste or export or screenshot the statistics page for Virtual Servers and Pools. Also as a pro-tip, you can use the Network Map to QUICKLY see the status of VIPs, Pools, iRules in play, etc. Always take a screenshot of this pre / post change to keep the app teams honest with a code deployment breaks something and not scheduled F5 work. Remember... isitthef5.com 😉