Forum Discussion

Brian_Kenworthy
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jan 11, 2012

Cron Help

Hi All, we recently upgraded out LTMs from 9.4.7 to 10.2.3 and I had to re-write a bash script that I have which will disable sessions to node for server maintenance. In V9 I used to edit the /etc/crontab file for Wednesday night maintenance, the syntax looked like this:

30 19 * * 3 root sh /usr/local/sbin/DisableNodes.sh

After the upgrade, I am not able to write to /usr/local/sbin so I placed the scripts in /var/tmp for now. Is there a better place to store these per best practices?

Now if I put the line in crontab for testing purposes, it is not working. However, I am able to execute the script from bash:

00 13 * * 3 root sh /var/tmp/DisableNodes.sh

Is there something in V10 that is prohibiting cron from running the script? I don't see anything in the logs either.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-BK

1 Reply

• After the upgrade, I am not able to write to /usr/local/sbin so I placed the scripts in /var/tmp for now. Is there a better place to store these per best practices?if you want, you can re-mount it in read-write mode, place the script and re-mount it back to read-only mode.

sol11302: Change in Behavior: The /usr filesystem is mounted in read only mode

http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/11000/300/sol11302.html

Now if I put the line in crontab for testing purposes, it is not working. However, I am able to execute the script from bash:did you upload the script from laptop to bigip or just copy-and-paste the content?