Forum Discussion

John_Krum
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
May 01, 2024

Citrix XenServer Big-IP Upgrade help

I am looking to upgrade our stand alone BIG-IP on xenserver. Currently running 15.1.2.1. It looks like I can just upgrade to 17 based on K13845. I am stuck on exactly what file to download. I also read K51113020 on how to do the upgrade, but I am a little hesitant because it doesn't reference XenServer specifically.  Looking at the files on the download page, I am not sure if I just pull an OVA file? The VM guy seems to think that is really for a new install not an upgrade.

I will take any tips, tricks or strategies to make this a simple upgrade. 

Thanks in advance. 

John

4 Replies

• as long as the ve is not 1slot type, then you can do the upgrade process using upgrade iso file via the webgui.

you can check the multiple slot availability using example in this video
    https://youtu.be/R2Kn5hX3dco?si=RA-haQE8C3mWb1nP&t=21
    https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K14946

if you only have 1 slot, then create second bigip vm (with multiple slot spec) then HA pair to the existing one.
    you might able to use use trial license for the second bigip.

after paired, do unpair then revoke license in first vm then apply the license to the second vm
    https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K41458656

finally, upgrade the second vm using regular gui based iso upgrade.

John_Krum

Zamroni,

Thank you for your response. I have worked on many F5s (inducing Viprons) in the past and for previous organizations, but this is my first VM and I really wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly with the correct VM software.  I did watch the video (and the one following that for additional information)

I believe I have it sorted out and will upgrade at the next outage,

Thanks again,

John

• Hello! 

From the details and articles that you have provided next I would go through article K02693745: Prepare to update or upgrade the BIG-IP system | BIG-IP update and upgrade guide, there's information on verifying the file to use. If this does not help or if you need some additional support, I would suggest creating a case with support as our engineers are going to be able to review your device setup and provide the best strategies available for your specific upgrade needs. 

Thank you for posting. If you are able please let us know if this information helped you in your quest to upgrade your device. 

John_Krum

Melissa,

Thank you for your response. I have worked on many F5s (inducing Viprons) in the past and for previous organizations, but this is my first VM and I really wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly with the correct VM software. 

I believe I have it sorted out and will upgrade at the next outage,

Thanks again,

John