Forum Discussion

JAIME_QUIROGA_1
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jul 23, 2014

CHANGE THE HOST NAME IF THE CONNECT IS A POOL MEMBER

Hi

I need to change the hostname for "server1" if the connect is a pool member X and "server2" if the pool member is Y. In this case the client set the URL http://caso.com/ejemplo and the session is start with server 1 of URL change for http://server1:14002/another/place/case and the session is star with server 2 of URL change for http://server2:14002/another/place/case

8 Replies

• You'll want to use either the HTTP_REQUEST_SEND or HTTP_REQUEST_RELEASE events, as these are triggered after the load balancing decision. Here's an example:

when HTTP_REQUEST_RELEASE {
        switch [LB::server addr] {
            "10.70.0.1" {
                HTTP::header replace Host "server1.internal.local"
            }
            "10.70.0.2" {
                HTTP::header replace Host "server2.internal.local"
            }
        }   
    }

• It is very interesting, but I need to add to other point,

When client set www.ejemplo.com/home/otro the irule found the word "home" and send the traffic a pool "home" and in this case if the connect is a pool member X, I re-writting the URL with http://server1:14002/home/other/site/same and if the connect is a pool member Y, I re-writting the URL with http://server2:14002/home/other/site/same.

In this case the load balancing changed the destine port destine, uri and hostname.

• So if I understand you correctly, you're evaluating the URI to send to a pool, and you do this in the HTTP_REQUEST event. The LB events are triggered next and a pool member is selected. By the time you get to the HTTP_REQUEST_RELEASE event, you've already chosen a pool, selected a pool member, and can now alter the Host header going to that server based on the provided information.

when HTTP_REQUEST {
        if { [HTTP::uri] starts_with "/home" } {
            pool home_pool
        } else {
            pool other-pool
        }
    }
    when HTTP_REQUEST_RELEASE {
            "10.70.0.1" {
                HTTP::header replace Host "server1:14002"
            }
            "10.70.0.2" {
                HTTP::header replace Host "server2:14002"
            }
        }   
    }

If you also need to change the URI path, that can be done in either HTTP event with the HTTP::uri command. The ":14002" in the above is part of the Host header. Actual ports are defined in the individual pools and the VIP's port translation setting.

• I wrote the next irule:

when HTTP_REQUEST {

switch -glob [string tolower [HTTP::uri]] { 

"/swscersalud*" {         

pool Pool_Consorcio_test

set VARIABLE[string map -nocase {"/swscersalud/wscersalud.asmx" "/Services/Utility/certificacionSalud/WS/Implementation/Service.serviceagent/WSCERSALUDSoapEndpoint"} [HTTP::uri]]

HTTP::uri $VARIABLE

log local0. "Ingreso al swscersalud [HTTP::uri]"
            }

"/wsconadmo*" {

log local0. "Ingreso al wsconadmo [HTTP::uri]"

set VARIABLE[string map -nocase {"/Wsconadmo/OyS.asmx" "/Services/Utility/OyS/WS/Implementation/WSCONADMO.serviceagent/OySSoapEndpoint"} [HTTP::uri]]

HTTP::uri $VARIABLE

pool Pool_Consorcio_test_V2

}

}

}

when HTTP_REQUEST_SEND {

"10.237.146.1" {

HTTP::header replace Host "vmpesbserver:14002"
        }
        "10.237.146.2" {

HTTP::header replace Host "vmpesbserver2:14002"

}

}   

}

Is this right? In the LTM the event HTTP_REQUEST_RELEASE is no found the version is 10.2.4

• Ahh, yes the HTTP_REQUEST_RELEASE event was not available in v10. For the HTTP_REQUEST_SEND event, you'll need to explcitly call out the clientside context:

when HTTP_REQUEST_SEND {
            "10.237.146.1" {
                clientside {
                    HTTP::header replace Host "vmpesbserver:14002"
                }
            }
            "10.237.146.2" {
                clientside {
                    HTTP::header replace Host "vmpesbserver2:14002"
                }
            }
        }   
    }

• Hi Kevin Stewart

I test the irule and the answer is good on client1 but client2 is bad, I changed the irule by see the events when client wrote the url, because I added instructions for generation the logs

when HTTP_REQUEST {

switch -glob [string tolower [HTTP::uri]] { 

"/swscersalud*" {         
                        pool Pool_Consorcio_test
            log local0. " original [HTTP::uri]"
            HTTP::uri "/Services/Utility/certificacionSalud/WS/Implementation/Service.serviceagent/WSCERSALUDSoapEndpoint"
            log local0. "modificado [HTTP::uri]"
            }
        "/wsconadmo*" {
            log local0. "Ingreso al wsconadmo [HTTP::uri]"
            HTTP::uri "/Services/Utility/OyS/WS/Implementation/WSCONADMO.serviceagent/OySSoapEndpoint"
            pool Pool_Consorcio_test_V2
                }
        }

}

I saw the logs

Jul 25 09:48:27 local/tmm info tmm[4913]: Rule irule_consorcio_v5 : Ingreso al swscersalud sin modificar /swscersalud/wscersalud.asmx Jul 25 09:48:27 local/tmm info tmm[4913]: Rule irule_consorcio_v5 : Ingreso al swscersalud con modificacion /swscersalud/wscersalud.asmx Jul 25 09:48:29 local/tmm info tmm[4913]: Rule irule_consorcio_v5 : Ingreso al swscersalud sin modificar /swscersalud/wscersalud.asmx Jul 25 09:48:29 local/tmm info tmm[4913]: Rule irule_consorcio_v5 : Ingreso al swscersalud con modificacion /swscersalud/wscersalud.asmx Jul 25 09:48:30 local/tmm info tmm[4913]: Rule irule_consorcio_v5 : Ingreso al swscersalud sin modificar /swscersalud/wscersalud.asmx Jul 25 09:48:30 local/tmm info tmm[4913]: Rule irule_consorcio_v5 : Ingreso al swscersalud con modificacion /swscersalud/wscersalud.asmx Jul 25 09:48:30 local/tmm info tmm[4913]: Rule irule_consorcio_v5 : Ingreso al swscersalud sin modificar /swscersalud/wscersalud.asmx Jul 25 09:48:30 local/tmm info tmm[4913]: Rule irule_consorcio_v5 : Ingreso al swscersalud con modificacion /swscersalud/wscersalud.asmx Jul 25 09:48:31 local/tmm info tmm[4913]: Rule irule_consorcio_v5 : Ingreso al swscersalud sin modificar /swscersalud/wscersalud.asmx Jul 25 09:48:31 local/tmm info tmm[4913]: Rule irule_consorcio_v5 : Ingreso al swscersalud con modificacion /swscersalud/wscersalud.asmx

in this log the uri does not change and I don't understand why the URL not change on server2's test, and in the cliente2 gotten the error 404.

• There's probably a few things going on here:

1. In versions of v10 (not sure when it changed) the HTTP::uri command does not update the filter cache to show the new value. So if you set a new value with HTTP::uri, and then go and read it with HTTP::uri, you'll get the original value. The URI is still changing for the traffic itself though. You can get around this in your logging by setting and using a variable instead.

2. I would add a log statement at the beginning of your HTTP_REQUEST event to show the actual URI request. You may not be catching it because it's not what you think it is.