Forum Discussion

Michaelyang
Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
Nov 22, 2022
Solved

Why use mgmt port to monitor ?

Hello,

I use BIG-IP VE.
I found that F5 uses the mgmt port for monitoring actions when the pool members are on the same subnet as mgmt.
But I'm going by the F5 file that the TMM route will take precedence over the mgmt route anyway.
https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K13284

Is there anything I've overlooked?

Any help is appreciated.

• Michaelyang , 
    I know you are following F5 Articles ,  add specific route in F5 it self such as below : 

> add this Route as a Specific , not as a default route on F5.
    > Also Make sure with the Connectivity between traffic subnet "10.20.10.0" and Management subnet "10.20.54.0"
    > you are adding default Route and at the same time F5 see real server directly connected with it through managment vlan , So F5 prefer Management Network over TMM. 

> Add this Specific Route and Put this Command 
    #ip route get 10.20.54.2 
    you should see this real server ip by self address from "10.20.10.0" TMM subnet. 

Regards 

4 Replies

• Hi Michaelyang , 
    Did you add a specific route to use TMM routes instead of management ?
    If you added it 
    please issue this Command on bash 
    #ip route get "Pool_member_ip" 

Also this Command on bash : 
    #ip route show 
    you will see which interface monitors your pool members. 
    if you find that you monitor by management interface , you will need to add TMM route correct. 
    > Could you please give me a brief on your design :
    - Do you use only one physical interface Configured for Management and Data traffic by using separate Vlans ( one for management subnet and the other of TMM Data traffic) ? 
    OR
    you are using Two separate interfaces one for management and the other For Data traffic ? 
    I have asked this Question to make sure with  your Layer 2 connectivity between TMM routes and management subnet as you said your pool_members in same subnet with Management. 

I will wait your feedback

Michaelyang
      Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus

嗨 Mohamed_Ahmed_Kansoh

感謝您的回复。
      這是我的結構:

F5:
      mgmt:10.20.54.1/24 
      vlan_ip:10.20.10.1/24
      默認路由:0.0.0.0/0 10.20.10.254

Real Server:
      IP: 10.20.54.2/24 進行

這些設置後,監控服務器的端口為mgmt。
      但是我設置的默認路由應該不會去vlan口吧?

我正在按照 F5 文件進行操作,TMM 路由無論如何都將優先於 mgmt 路由。
       https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K13284 

• Michaelyang , 
        I know you are following F5 Articles ,  add specific route in F5 it self such as below : 

> add this Route as a Specific , not as a default route on F5.
        > Also Make sure with the Connectivity between traffic subnet "10.20.10.0" and Management subnet "10.20.54.0"
        > you are adding default Route and at the same time F5 see real server directly connected with it through managment vlan , So F5 prefer Management Network over TMM. 

> Add this Specific Route and Put this Command 
        #ip route get 10.20.54.2 
        you should see this real server ip by self address from "10.20.10.0" TMM subnet. 

Regards 

• A console port can be used in conjunction with a console server, whereas a management port can be used for remote management and setup of a networking device.