Forum Discussion

Aperia
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 29, 2020

Virtual server destination IP and pool member servers

I need to be able to allow the virtual server destination IP to be seen as the source to my pool member servers. We are replacing our Kemp Loadmasters with BigIP devices. What I need and how the Kemp behaves is like this: The virtual server (VIP) sends traffic to our pool members (IIS webservers/real servers) and the applications see the request coming from the actual Kemp virtual IP, not the Kemp devices or VLAN IPs which is how the F5 functions.

The issue I am seeing is that the webservers are seeing the requests from the F5 as coming from the VLAN self and floating IPs, not from the virtual server IP, which is what I need. Is this possible with F5? SNAT is not what I'm looking for.

2 Replies

• Actually, SNAT may be exactly what you are looking for. I know of no reason why you couldn't create a snatpool with the VIP address as the translation address.

Just to clarify -

• Requests coming from non-floating self IPs are likely monitor traffic
    • Requests appearing to come from the floating self IP are probably the outcome of enabling SNAT automap on the VS

Hope this helps.

Aperia
    Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

I had tried SNAT and couldn't get it to perform as expected, but now it is. Well, I guess SNAT is the solution, thanks.