Forum Discussion

dani_salvado
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Feb 09, 2023
Solved

Use the REST proxy on the BIG-IQ system ERROR

Hello,

I'm working in a local environment trying to use the REST proxy on the BIG-IQ system with the objective of acquire certain info of a BIG-IP. 

Once I've obtained the BIG-IQ token, discovered the BIG-IP device, enabled the REST-PROXY feature and obtained the BIG-IP uuid (4ad12733-95ea-47b0-a562-dd6ac6da5adc), which basically consists on following the steps found on that website Enabling BIG-IQ Centralized Management as a REST proxy for BIG-IP devices (f5.com); it is time to confirm that the BIGIP has been discovered and included into the BIGIP devices group with the code below.

headers = {
'X-F5-Auth-Token': f'{token}'
}

# Request to confirm that the BIGIP was discovered and is included in the cm-bigip-allDevices group
url_id = "https://192.168.1.44/mgmt/shared/resolver/device-groups/cm-bigip-allDevices/devices/4ad12733-95ea-47b0-a562-dd6ac6da5adc"
response_id = requests.get(url_id, auth=HTTPBasicAuth('admin', 'psw'), headers=headers, verify=False)

The problem is that when I execute that, there is an output variable that states that "state": "PENDING", when that should be  "state": "ACTIVE".  Why? Do I left something? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

dani_salvado
    Feb 13, 2023

Finally I solved it. It was just necessary to PATCH the BIGIP through the BIGIQ by changing the state manually, as follows.

data = {
    'state': 'ACTIVE'
    }
    url = "https://" + ip + "/mgmt/shared/resolver/device-groups/cm-bigip-allBigIpDevices/devices/4ad12733-95ea-47b0-a562-dd6ac6da5adc"
    response = requests.patch(url, auth=HTTPBasicAuth('admin', 'psw'), json=data, verify=False)

Thanks for everything!

5 Replies

dani_salvado
      Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus

I'm working with virtual editions of both (BIG-IQ and BIG-IP) at the moment, and the BIG-IQ Web UI is always stucked in that message "Waiting for BIG-IQ services to become available...". Then I'm working via the tmsh, and also python requests.

JoshBecigneul
        Icon for MVP rankMVP

Got you. I'd recommend solving the waiting for services message, you could try restarting the system, but opening a case with F5 about it is probably the best option. I would not trust the results of the API if the webUI is not functioning.