Forum Discussion

Spidey_29396
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Mar 06, 2014

Upgrading a vcmp Guest

Hi All,

I am planning to upgrade my vcmp guest from 11.2.1 HF3 to HF10, do i need to reactivate the license on the host or guest? After Upgrading, do i need to change the "Initial ISO" on vcmp guest configuration?

Thanks! Ferdz

8 Replies

• upgrading is straightforward. The license is the one of the host and you do not need to reactivate. You do not need to touch the initial ISO setting. Just boot on the new volume inside the guest (as for non-vcmp). Check the resource provisioning after booting.

• Thanks Amolari, so i don't need to reactivate the license of guest or host, just proceed with the upgrade?

• I never had to. Older (v11.2) F5 doc states (as "might") it's best practice to reactivate the host license prior to upgrade the guest. In newer document version, that statement disappeared. also check http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/15000/000/sol15029.html?sr=35636906

• i certainly would check your license before, because you do need to have a active license to upgrade.

Kel
    Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

There is need to re-activate vCMP HOST license to update Service Check Date prior to upgrading vCMP Guest; Refer to "Upgrade considerations" section in SOL15930 and SOL7727!

• if i read that first SOL 15930 it says

Upgrade considerations

Before upgrading a guest, ensure that the new version supports the hardware and is supported by the vCMP host version. For information, refer to SOL14088: vCMP host and supported guest version matrix.

Before performing an upgrade, you should re-activate the license on the vCMP host system. The vCMP guests retrieve their license from the host, so you do not need to re-activate the guest licenses.

which says to me do the re-activate on the vCMP host, even when upgrading a vCMP guest only. which makes sense when you would jump ahead of your vCMP host version, then the service check data does come into play.

• Be aware, that re-activation the license of the the vCMP host affects the operation of all vCMP guests running on the host.

After applying a new license to the vCMP host you will notice service interuption for all vCMP guest systems. Thats why its recommended to run this in a maintenance window with planned downtime. As mentioned before by Kel you may want to check in advance, if it is really necessary to re-license the host.

Thanks, Stephan