Forum Discussion

F5_LB_Eng
Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
Nov 28, 2022
Solved

UCS file

Hi ,

i have following question about UCS ..

What is a “normal” size of UCS file and consider different Modules like LTM / ASM / AWAF / APM and their combinations

Which files / directories are in a UCS by default?

Which files are in the UCS and are not there by need?

please update me.

• Hey, 

rename the *.UCS file to *.tar.gz and take a look into it to see what is included. The content varies depending on your setup, mudules and rule sets. The size starting with just a few MB and it may end with 200 or even more MB.

UCS files may grow massively if your device crashed in the past, you put network traces in wrong directories, or for an example your APM has many different (but obsolete) client components installed. In this case 1GB could be realistic...

Cheers, Kai

2 Replies

• Hey, 

rename the *.UCS file to *.tar.gz and take a look into it to see what is included. The content varies depending on your setup, mudules and rule sets. The size starting with just a few MB and it may end with 200 or even more MB.

UCS files may grow massively if your device crashed in the past, you put network traces in wrong directories, or for an example your APM has many different (but obsolete) client components installed. In this case 1GB could be realistic...

Cheers, Kai

• Hi F5_LB_Eng , 
    you can decompress the UCS file by 7-ZIP you will get "im" extention file , decompress it as well  , after that you Can explore all ucs contained files such as ( license files , Big-ip.conf , or base.conf and ....etc ) 

> for Sizes , I think there is no standard size for UCSs , I think one of its dependances is the volume of configuration deployed in your appliances and F5 modules (LTM , ASM , GTM ... ) as well. 

> you mentioned that you provision APM module 
    so check this article : https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K69803943 . 

> to remove unnecessary files on UCS , Follow the below KB : 
    https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K12278

Regards