Forum Discussion

JohnL
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 19, 2022

r5600 hostname

I have a pair of r5600 appliance running F5OS.  I went through the initial configuration and set the hostname to let say ABCD and the admin CLI prompt was set correctly to ABCD.  But when I logged into the device as root, the  linux hostname didn't change and was still at the default of "appliance-1.chassis.local"   I have  a few of these appliances and it is quite confusing as I can't tell which system I am on.

Question 1:Can I change it to match the hostname I set in the F5OS config?   

Question2:  Do I do change it by modifying /etc/hostname ?

Question 2:   Will it affect anything? 

8 Replies

• If you change the hostname using TMSH, does BASH still not update...?

modify sys global-settings hostname abcd.f5.example

JohnL

I am talking changing the hostname in F5OS linux prompt, not the F5-BIG-IP OS.  

JohnL

Thanks for the reply iaine.

Sorry, I know this is confusing.  But that's not it.  The configs in the link can also be changed within the GUI. 

I am talking about this one.

CentOS Linux 7 (Core)
      Kernel 3.10.0-1160.25.1.F5.1.el7_8.x86_64 on an x86_64
      appliance-1 login: root
      Password:
      Last login: Fri May 27 10:47:47 from localhost
      [root@appliance-1 ~]# hostname
      appliance-1.chassis.local

• Did you ever find a resolution for this?  I'm encountering the same behavior, and none of the replies seem to understand that TMSH commands don't work for F5OS.

JohnL

I got the offical word from support and they said the hostname can't be change.  They put in a feature request for furtue update.    So just be carefull when you are working on multiple hosts at the same time. 

Trevor_J

Oof.  It shows up in remote syslog too, which I guess isn't the end of the world because we can still filter logs by source IP.  All my syslog output is in UTC too, despite F5OS being configured as Eastern Time... all kinds of fun.