Forum Discussion

fudder_30936
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jul 07, 2010

Problems with .Net connection pooling through a MSSQL VIP

I've got a pool managing a couple SQL servers in an active/inactive rollover approach - there's only ever one in the pool at a time.

Initially I was enabling/disabling the nodes in the pool, but I found that due to connection pooling the active connections did not cut over.

Instead, I've used the MSSQL monitor to flag which server is active/inactive, so the nodes are actually taken "Down" instead of just "Disabled". Things work better, except that the very first query after a rollover errors out, as the connection is dropped. I've played with the pool's "Action On Service Down" settings, but none of the options (None/Drop/Reject/Reselect) seems to solve the problem. Reselect seems to be what I want, but it doesn't seem to work as described - the first call for each active pool after the switch still returns a connection error.

Short of turning off connection pooling, any ideas for solving this?

1 Reply

Helen_Johnson_1
    Historic F5 Account
    Hi fudder,

Just for sake of argument, did you try turning off connection pooling? If you did, what were the results?

It sounds to me like you've done things properly, and that reselect is indeed what you want. If you haven't already, I would suggest opening a case with support, as this sounds like a break/fix issue.

Good luck!

-Helen