Forum Discussion

Alvin_Ng
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Jun 28, 2022
Solved

Possible to Compare and Diff configuration by ucs files

Hi, 

I have some configuration change on LTM, and do the ucs backup before and after also. But I don't hope to compare those ucs files to find the different by download those archives and open another tools.

May anyone know there have ucs compare and shown which configuration difference by tmsh?

Best Regards,

Alvin

• Hello Alvin Ng,

There are another methods to compare configs, but they are more rudimentary.

1. Compare SCF files using TMSH

# Extract intial config
    tmsh save sys config file /shared/tmp/initial_config.scf no-passphrase
    # Extract final config
    tmsh save sys config file /shared/tmp/final_config.scf no-passphrase
    # Compare both files
    tmsh show sys config-diff /shared/tmp/initial_config.scf /shared/tmp/final_config.scf | egrep -e "\s{3}\|\s{3}" -e "[<]$" -e "^\s*[>]"

2. Similar to the previous command, you can use diff to compare both bigip.conf files

# First, extract the bigip.conf file from both UCS
    # Compare both files
    diff /shared/tmp/initial_bigip.conf /shared/tmp/final_bigip.conf | egrep -e "\s{3}\|\s{3}" -e "[<]$" -e "^\s*[>]"

3. You can also use Notepad++ to compare them, from my experience, better compare feature than diff.

Hope this helps.

4 Replies

• Hi Dario,

Much thanks your help.

I quick to try it by .scf files, it is work.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Alvin Ng

Alvin_Ng
      Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus

Hi Dario,

Thanks your reply.

Oh, but I just have BIG-IP LTM hardware platform only. I would like to find whether have a way to do it by BIG-IP system tmsh or configuration utility.

Anyway, thanks your information to let me know that have more option on BIG-IQ.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Alvin Ng

• Hello Alvin Ng,

There are another methods to compare configs, but they are more rudimentary.

1. Compare SCF files using TMSH

# Extract intial config
        tmsh save sys config file /shared/tmp/initial_config.scf no-passphrase
        # Extract final config
        tmsh save sys config file /shared/tmp/final_config.scf no-passphrase
        # Compare both files
        tmsh show sys config-diff /shared/tmp/initial_config.scf /shared/tmp/final_config.scf | egrep -e "\s{3}\|\s{3}" -e "[<]$" -e "^\s*[>]"

2. Similar to the previous command, you can use diff to compare both bigip.conf files

# First, extract the bigip.conf file from both UCS
        # Compare both files
        diff /shared/tmp/initial_bigip.conf /shared/tmp/final_bigip.conf | egrep -e "\s{3}\|\s{3}" -e "[<]$" -e "^\s*[>]"

3. You can also use Notepad++ to compare them, from my experience, better compare feature than diff.

Hope this helps.