Forum Discussion

Cory_del_Mar_67
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 29, 2013

Packet Discards - Connection limit reached (virtual server)

Does anyone happen to know if this statistic indicates hardware capacity issues? We're on 10.2.4 device BIG-IP LTM 3600 4G R and found out at tab Overview > Traffic Summary > General > Packet Discards shows "Connection limit reached (virtual server) 8.3K ". Appreciate if anyone can shed some light how do we trace the virtual server which had packet discards due to connection limit reached and what factors contribute to this issue, thank you in advance.

2 Replies

• I hope this would be of some help:

http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_ltm/manuals/product/ltm-implementations-11-2-1/30.html

no easy way to find it, you need to check each item.
  • Two quick things I can suggest. 1. Navigate cu, statistics, dashboard tab. 2. There on top under views tab, click and choose "local traffic manager". 3. Then under LTM statistics, I will see a list of all vs, pools and nodes u have. Select any one which u know is active, there you see maximum and total connections.

Another way is the TMOS, tmsh commands. Like tmsh show ltm virtual all-properties, and use double grep'ing switches for exact results like virtual server: with maximum counter.

Now, other than these, you can also take advantage of 3rd party monitoring tools, with the help of vip monitoring, which will give you many more options including connection n all. You may need to provide latest mibs files from your appliance to the monitoring tool.

Now coming back to the original problem, why packets are getting discarded, you can configure packets To be queued instead of getting Discarded and dropped. This is configurable under pools settings.

-- Ravi k. Malhotra--