Forum Discussion

Illia
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 27, 2021

OAuth token synchronization in APM HA pair

Hello.

I have an HA pair of APMs, acting as a OAuth authorization server. By default, devices in HA should synchronized OAuth tokens from Active to Standby. But I don't see issued tokens on Standby device.

The statemirror.mirrorsession system database variable set in "enabled".

:Active:In Sync] ~ # tmsh  show apm oauth token-details db-instance <db_name>

total-tokens:    7258

:Standby:In Sync] ~ # tmsh  show apm oauth token-details db-instance <db_name>

total-tokens:    0

No synchronization errors (Failed to initiate DB synchronization (ERR_DB)) in logs.

How can I check, that token synchronization is successful and issued OAuth tokens existing on both device in cluster?

6 Replies

• Hi Illia,

in addition to the HA-SYNC device group, have you also configured a sync-only device group?

Angelo

Illia

Hello, Angelo. There is only one sync-failover device group.

Illia.

Angelo_V
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus

I think the problem is that.

To synchronize access policies between multiple devices, you configure a Sync-Only device group, which includes the devices between which you want to synchronize access policies. Device group setup requires establishing trust relationships between devices and creating a device group. You set the devices in each group to use Automatic Sync and Full Sync, and then synchronize access policies one at a time, resolving conflicts as you go.

Important: Sync-Only groups must be configured before you pair Active-Standby devices. To add an Active-Standby device pair to a Sync-Only device group, first you must reset the trust between the devices. Next, you must remove the devices from the Sync-Failover device group. Next, you must add both devices to a Sync-Only device group. Finally, add the devices as an Active-Standby pair to the Sync-Failover group.

https://techdocs.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_apm/manuals/product/apm-implementations-11-5-0/4.html#conceptid

Illia

Hello, Angelo. I'm not clearly understand your considerations. My devices is in one trust domain and in one Sync-Failover device group.

https://techdocs.f5.com/en-us/bigip-15-1-0/big-ip-access-policy-manager-oauth-configuration/apm-oauth-overview.html

As I can see here, "HA supports real-time synchronization of the BIG-IP configuration, including the OAuth database, and switching over seamlessly when needed."

Why we need additional Syn-Only device group?

Angelo_V
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus

I think you are right, you don't need an additional Sync-Only device group.

Try to check the statemirror.mirrorsession system database variable, it should be enable

list /sys db statemirror.mirrorsessions

Illia

Angelo, I've already checked it.

The statemirror.mirrorsession system database variable set in "enabled".

Do you have an ideas how to check database on Standby device?