Forum Discussion

Michael_Mangret
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 26, 2006

no-cache irule

All,

I am trying to include both PRAGMA:NO-CACHE and CACHE-CONTROL:NO-CACHE to the http response from my LTM. Does anyone know how to get me started in writing something like this into an irule? I have found the following information at devcentral. http://devcentral.f5.com/wiki/default.aspx/iRules.CACHE, not sure if any of this is going to help me accomplish my task. I have also search the irule forum with no success.

Please advise,

Mike

3 Replies

• It's as simple as adding headers in the response

when HTTP_RESPONSE {
      HTTP::header insert "PRAGMA" "NO-CACHE"
      HTTP::header insert "CACHE-CONTROL" "NO-CACHE"
    }

For more help with the HTTP::header commands, take a look at the iRules wiki where we document all the methods.

-Joe
  • I have this exact rule applied to one of our apps (and I've tried adding HTTP::version "1.1" as well), and it works great for the most part... until a user attempts to download a file in IE. I've found a number of sites that talk about problems when downloading files in IE when the CACHE-CONTROL header is present, but I find it hard to believe that this long into the existence of IE it's still just a fact that IE, downloads, and that header cannot ever co-exist. Has anyone else ever run into this?

When a user attempts to download a file, the error is something like this:

Internet Explorer cannot download [file] from [server host name].

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.

Any ideas?
      hannynikawa
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Hi Chad,

I amnew to this F5.  I am trying to do the same thing like you adding no cache on the header.  would you mind sharing the iRule that you did for this.

Thank you

Hanny