Forum Discussion

Sep 05, 2019

Microsoft TMG to F5 migration

This is a sanity check as I'm not very familiar with MS TMG. I'm creating a simply reverse proxy on an upstream LTM, (there is a downstream LTM with the iApp for Exchange 2010 already configured). I see the following settings: (see picture below if it shows)

1. "Forward the original host header instead of the actual one (Specified in the Internal site name field)"
  2. Proxy requests to publish site: Requests appear to come from the Forefront TMG computer

Point number 2 is simply SNAT. But point number 1 was on a rule for Autodiscover and EWS. From my understanding there is nothing I need to do on the F5 to mirror that setting because the F5 is going to forward the client's request as-is anyway (from a layer 7 perspective). is there anything I'm missing or overlooking? I believe that setting specific for when ISA server is acting as a proxy.

1 Reply

• Hi,

The setting: Forward the original host header instead of the actual one (specified in the Internal site name field) checkbox:

Allow you to preserve header send from client (HTTP Get/POST) to backend server.

For example, if you want to preserve the host header that the client sent in its request (ews.domain.com) and don’t want that TMG change the host header with backend hostname (ews1.int.domain.com).

On f5 this is done automatically, you don’t need to set any settings for that. I think that's the way you understood it.

second point regardless of your question. I advise you to use the IAPP exchange which is very well done.

except for a specific exception you do not necessarily need to help you with the TMG configuration to deploy exchange on F5 is pretty standard

regards