Forum Discussion

duBeN_25069
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Aug 29, 2013

irule

Hello, I have a virtual server with default pool Pool1 configured, containing 2 servers (10.10.10.2/3). Now I'm trying to achieve that if request will come from client with IP 192.168.1.2 it will be forwarded to 10.10.10.2 and if from client 192.168.1.3 it will be forwarded to 10.10.10.3. iRule should looks like this:

when HTTP_REQUEST {
        if { [IP::addr [IP::client_addr] equals 192.168.1.2] } { 
                pool Pool1 member 10.10.10.2 80 
                }
        else if  { [IP::addr [IP::client_addr] equals 192.168.1.3] } { 
                pool Pool1 member 10.10.10.3 80
                }  
}

My question is what will happen if server 10.10.10.2 will go down. In that case I'd like to forward all requests to second server which is up. But I have a feeling that with this iRule client with ip 192.168.1.2 will be forwarded anyway to server1 which is down. Am I right ? And if yes how to avoid this situation ?

8 Replies

• In that case I'd like to forward all requests to second server which is up. But I have a feeling that with this iRule client with ip 192.168.1.2 will be forwarded anyway to server1 which is down. Am I right ? And if yes how to avoid this situation ?

you may check pool member/node status before forwarding traffic.

LB::status

https://devcentral.f5.com/wiki/iRules.LB__status.ashx

• In that case I'd like to forward all requests to second server which is up. But I have a feeling that with this iRule client with ip 192.168.1.2 will be forwarded anyway to server1 which is down. Am I right ? And if yes how to avoid this situation ?

you may check pool member/node status before forwarding traffic.

LB::status

https://devcentral.f5.com/wiki/iRules.LB__status.ashx

• great, thanks so it will looks like this:

when HTTP_REQUEST { 

if { [LB::status pool $poolname member $ip $port] eq "up" && [LB::status pool $poolname member $ip2 $port] eq "up" } {
      if { [IP::addr [IP::client_addr] equals $client] } { 
           pool $poolname member $ip $port
         }
            elseif  { [IP::addr [IP::client_addr] equals $client2] } { 
                    pool $poolname member $ip2 $port
                    }  
     }
    }

• Or perhaps something like this:

when HTTP_REQUEST {
        if { ( [IP::addr [IP::client_addr] equals 192.168.1.2] ) and [LB::status pool Pool1 member 10.10.10.2 80] eq "up" ) } { 
            pool Pool1 member 10.10.10.2 80 
        } elseif  { ( [IP::addr [IP::client_addr] equals 192.168.1.3] ) and [LB::status pool Pool1 member 10.10.10.3 80] eq "up" ) } { 
            pool Pool1 member 10.10.10.3 80
        } else {
             not technically necessary if the pool is assigned to the VIP
            pool pool Pool1
        } 
    }

This basically says, if the client source is this, and the specific pool member is up, then go ahead and send it. Otherwise send the request to whoever is available in the (default) pool.