Forum Discussion

giltjr
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Apr 12, 2023

Hardware platform and TSO (TCP Segmentation Offoload) support

Is there any documentation that shows what hardware platforms support TCP Sementation Offload?

Specifically trying to see if the 2000s supported this.

4 Replies

• giltjr I do not see any documentation that specifies specific platforms that support it but I did find that it was introduced in BIG-IP 11.4.0.

giltjr

That's the only thing I have found.  We migrated from 2000s to VE and have started experincing a problem dealing with TSO and we are trying to see if we would have had the issue on 2000s.

PSilva
    Ret. Employee

While I'm also not sure about the hardware, I did find this about the feature: 

K15609: Overview of TCP Segmentation Offload and Large Receive Offload

In addition, this is about VE and about 2/3 of the way down is the TSO info: https://techdocs.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_ltm/manuals/product/bigip-ve-setup-vmware-esxi-11-6-0/1.html

About TCP Segmentation Offloading support

If you want to disable support for TCP Segmentation Offloading (TSO), you must submit a tmsh command, because the TSO feature is enabled by default. Note that enabling TSO support also enables support for large receive offload (LRO) and Jumbo Frames.

Configuring a hypervisor for TSO support

You must have the Admin user role to enable or disable TSO support for a hypervisor.

Using the tmsh command sys db, you can turn TSO support on, off, or check to see whether support is currently enabled.
    1. To determine whether TSO support is currently enabled, use the tmsh show command.
      show sys db tm.tcpsegmentationoffload
    2. To enable support for TSO, use the tmsh enable command.
      sys db tm.tcpsegmentationoffload enable
    3. To disable support for TSO, use the tmsh disable command.
      sys db tm.tcpsegmentationoffload disable

giltjr

I understand that, but TSO is not actually use unless the network card supports it.   I'm trying to figure out if the network cards in the 2000s supported TSO.