Forum Discussion

MH
Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus
Oct 18, 2022
Solved

GTM Redundant pair Listener IP address

Hello All,

Sorry for the basic question, but I find the deployment guides and implementation guides lasking some basic information.  

When deploying a redundant GTM pair, does the listener for the DNS queries use the floating IP address? 

When deploying a single GTM it is mentioned that we use a self IP, but for a redundant pair it does eplicitly say.  Since the configuration is done on one GTM in the pair and synchronised to the other backup device, I do tno think a self-IP is going work.

Can we use a IP from the subnet used for the LTM VIPs? This subnet is not on a directly connected VLAN, but is a subnet that is routed to the BIg-IP.

Many thanks,

Michael

• Hi

I would create the Listener on your existing VIP vlan.  As long as the connecting clients/DNS servers are able to connect to it then you should be good.  

• MH wrote:

Hello All,

Sorry for the basic question, but I find the deployment guides and implementation guides lasking some basic information.  

When deploying a redundant GTM pair, does the listener for the DNS queries use the floating IP address? 

When deploying a single GTM it is mentioned that we use a self IP, but for a redundant pair it does eplicitly say.  Since the configuration is done on one GTM in the pair and synchronised to the other backup device, I do tno think a self-IP is going work.

Can we use a IP from the subnet used for the LTM VIPs? This subnet is not on a directly connected VLAN, but is a subnet that is routed to the BIg-IP.

Many thanks,

Michael

When deploying a redundant GTM pair, does the listener for the DNS queries use the floating IP address? - Yes

You can use a routed network as a listener as it functions like a Virtual Server in LTM for the most part. As long as that network is routed to the F5, you could use it. 

As the previous responder said, creating the Listener in the same network as your Virtual Servers is an easier approach, however both methods will work.

2 Replies

• Hi

I would create the Listener on your existing VIP vlan.  As long as the connecting clients/DNS servers are able to connect to it then you should be good.  

• MH wrote:

Hello All,

Many thanks,

Michael

When deploying a redundant GTM pair, does the listener for the DNS queries use the floating IP address? - Yes

You can use a routed network as a listener as it functions like a Virtual Server in LTM for the most part. As long as that network is routed to the F5, you could use it. 

As the previous responder said, creating the Listener in the same network as your Virtual Servers is an easier approach, however both methods will work.