Forum Discussion

Jul 07, 2010

Federal Users Group Meeting

Hello all,

The next Federal F5 Users Group "FEDFUG" is quickly approaching. More news forthcoming as we set the date and start making arrangements.

In the meantime, we'd like to ask the group, that's all of you, to contribute by talking about some of the things you'd like to see at the meeting.

I'll start:

1. First and foremost, we're really excited about TMOS v10.2 and the new Kerberos Protocol Transition (KPT) capability. We'll definitely be talking about that and probably including a demo.

2. Application security is always a big hit, and we'll also absolutely want to talk about Access Policy Manager, and some of the very cool things you can do with that.

3. File virtualization is one of those mysterious technologies that, once understood, have a truly dramatic effect on your enterprise storage. So we'll be talking about that too.

That's my list so far. I welcome everyone to pile on and let us know what you want to see (and don't want to see).

And by the way, we also have a newsletter coming soon, so stay tuned.

-- Kevin Stewart

2 Replies

• Have you set a date or a location yet?

A couple of items I would like to see:

HSPD-12 authentication to F5 devices Is there a way or a plan?

Securing the F5 devices based on Federal/DoD security.
  • JJay,

Welcome and congratulations on being the first non-F5'er to contribute to our federal DC forum!

To answer your questions:

1. Have you set a date or a location yet [for the next Federal user's group]?

A: Sort of and yes. We're looking at late May or early June for the event, and having it at the Washington Manor Golf Club in Urbana, Maryland.

Worthington Manor Golf Club

8329 Fingerboard Road

Urbana, Maryland 21704

301-874-5400

It starts with a few presentations on upcoming technologies, and ends with some great golfing action! The official invitation will be posted soon.

2. A couple of items I would like to see:

HSPD-12 authentication to F5 devices Is there a way or a plan?

Securing the F5 devices based on Federal/DoD security.

A: HSPD-12 is the directive that drives FIPS 201. FIPS 201 then drives the actual technical directives issued by the various services and agencies. For the DoD it's JTF-GNO Communications Tasking Orders (CTO). For Fed it's something else. In the grand scheme you have things like the Federal Bridge which is a PKI model that is supposed to allow for interoperability between services and PKIs, and some inter-agency directives for cross-communication. As you probably know, F5 has a really rich set of authentication capabilities, including Kerberos, OCSP/CRLDP, AD/LDAP, OAM, etc. Throw in iRules that can, as if by magic, tie all of these crazy things together, and you have an unbelievably powerful and flexible model for pretty much anything you can imagine (think SAML, SOAP/Web Services, single sign-on). You get the picture. And because you're doing all of this with BIG-IP, you have the added benefit of enhanced security (proxy security, denial-of-service security, application layer security).

I hope that answers your questions.

See you at the FedFUG?

Kevin