Forum Discussion

Dazzla_20011
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 01, 2013

Exchange 2010 RPC Client Access over MAPI

Hi,

I've been asked by our Applications Team to load balance Microsoft Exchange 2010 RCP Client Access over MAPI. Our LTM version is 10.0.1, I've been following the manual confiuration tables for RPC Client Access in the F5 Exchange 2010 deployment guide. We are using the default dynamic port range for RPC Client Access traffic. I've followed the guide which seems straight forward to set up but we are having difficulties connecting to Oulook when testing.

I've created a pool containing both CAS servers with service port set to * All Services with health monitor tcp/135 applied. Two virtual servers have been created one using Port 135 and the other using *All Ports which both connect to the pool created I mentioned earlier. I know very little regarding exchange but the guide states if deploying RPC Client Access, you must deploy Outlook Anywhere, to properley handle Exchange Web Services Traffic. We are not using Outlook Anywhere so I haven't set this up and I can't see why this would be preventing RPC access over MAPI as we are not using Outlook Anywhere to connect using HTTP.

Any ideas what the problem might be and how best to troubleshoot this, I've checked the configuration on the LTM and all looks fine?

Thanks

Darren

1 Reply

• Hi Darren, this probably won't be very useful. Prior to a MS exchange deployment we upgraded the exchange LTMS to 11.2.1. In version V11 there is an "iApp" that generates an exchange LTM configuration based on replies you provide to the iApp questionaire. It worked very well. Perhaps you could try this on a lab box and look at the configuration it produces.

Best of luck. -Jim