Forum Discussion

ASF
Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus
Jun 28, 2022
Solved

DNS zone SOA Master Server change

Hi,

We own an internet exposed domain mycompany.com
A reachable subdomain, gtm1.mycompany.com is managed at GTM lager (now BIGIP DNS).
Many wideIP hang from that subdomain eg. "app1layer1.gtm1.mycompany.com"

Due to a particular conflict, (I really do not understand the technical issue behind it), we have been asked to change the current MasterServer field and replace it by one server which can be reached from the internet
For us, that menas, changing "master.internalcompanydomain.com" and replacing it by "gtmserver1.mycompany.com"

I just wanted to countercheck with the community if anyone saw this could have any consequences on the performance of the DNS functionality.

I expect nothing happens.

Thanks!

• Hello ASF.

Any server that manages a specific zone should have an SOA record.
    The structure of the SOA record is something like this:
    1. Primary master name server for this zone
    2. Email address of the administrator responsible for this zone (replacing the '@' with a '.' character).
    3. Other fields (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOA_record)
    For example:

$TTL 10
    mycompany.com.   IN      SOA     ns1.mycompany.com. admin.mycompany.com. (1652365942 7200 1800 604800 300)
    mycompany.com.   IN      NS      ns1.mycompany.com.
    mycompany.com.   IN      NS      ns2.mycompany.com.

Then, in a standardized format, you should have an NS record associated with the info provided in the SOA record.
    Anyway, the SOA record is only a documentary record and doesn't have any effect on normal communication, which uses an NS query instead.

3 Replies

• Hello ASF.

Any server that manages a specific zone should have an SOA record.
    The structure of the SOA record is something like this:
    1. Primary master name server for this zone
    2. Email address of the administrator responsible for this zone (replacing the '@' with a '.' character).
    3. Other fields (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOA_record)
    For example:

$TTL 10
    mycompany.com.   IN      SOA     ns1.mycompany.com. admin.mycompany.com. (1652365942 7200 1800 604800 300)
    mycompany.com.   IN      NS      ns1.mycompany.com.
    mycompany.com.   IN      NS      ns2.mycompany.com.

Then, in a standardized format, you should have an NS record associated with the info provided in the SOA record.
    Anyway, the SOA record is only a documentary record and doesn't have any effect on normal communication, which uses an NS query instead.

ASF
      Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus

Thanks for your help, Dario_Garrido!

I provisioned SOA (and even NS) and everything OK.

Regards,

ASF