Forum Discussion

huuuqi
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Feb 21, 2023
Solved

Can APM be configured with two proxy addresses

I need to configure one more proxy address (10.10.10.11:10443) for the existing service. Is this correct? When I did this, the old proxy address (10.10.10.10:100443) became unusable

Look forward to your reply. Thank you

• When 2 proxy servers are configured, the APM will attempt to connect to the first proxy server in the list. If the first proxy server is unavailable or fails to connect, then only APM will attempt to connect to the second proxy server in the list.

• I think the two "expr" statements together will cause an error. This right-side of the custom expression expects a TCL statement, or TCL code that has a "return" line in it. If you want two address in there, you should use a single statement, such as:

return {'10.10.10.10:10443, 10.10.10.11:10443'}

The problem though, is that I don't think we can use multiple IPs here in the VMWare view proxy address. If you're trying to load balance between two proxy servers maybe you could do something like this so that half of the users get one and half get the other:

if {[clock seconds] % 2} { return "10.10.10.10:10443" } else { return "10.10.10.11:10443" }

4 Replies

Gajji
    Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus

When 2 proxy servers are configured, the APM will attempt to connect to the first proxy server in the list. If the first proxy server is unavailable or fails to connect, then only APM will attempt to connect to the second proxy server in the list.

huuuqi
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

What is happening now is that vmware is showing an unavailable connection timeout when accessing through the first proxy address after I added the second proxy address

Gajji
        Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus

it is possible that there is
        a configuration issue with either the first or second proxy.

One possible cause of this is that APM agent or
        the VMware client is attempting to connect to the first proxy
        address, but the traffic is being routed through the second
        proxy instead.

This can happen if the 2nd proxy is configured
        with a higher priority or a more specific routing rule
        than the 1st proxy.

To resolve this issue, you may need to adjust the proxy
        configuration to ensure that traffic to the VMware
        server is routed through the correct proxy. 

• I think the two "expr" statements together will cause an error. This right-side of the custom expression expects a TCL statement, or TCL code that has a "return" line in it. If you want two address in there, you should use a single statement, such as:

return {'10.10.10.10:10443, 10.10.10.11:10443'}

The problem though, is that I don't think we can use multiple IPs here in the VMWare view proxy address. If you're trying to load balance between two proxy servers maybe you could do something like this so that half of the users get one and half get the other:

if {[clock seconds] % 2} { return "10.10.10.10:10443" } else { return "10.10.10.11:10443" }