I have a big-ip in HA setting.
But if I am in primary one, I cannot ping peer local self IP.
I can ping primary local and floating IP.
I check this link, and I do tcpdump in primary one, I can see I am using primary local self IP as source IP.
In peer one tcpdump, I can see
12:14:59.719138 ARP, Request who-has 220.127.116.11 tell 18.104.22.168, length 48 out slot1/tmm2 lis=
It seems the ARP not completed, so it should fix in network side or BIG-IP?
22.214.171.124 is my gateway and 126.96.36.199 is peer local self ip
In primary one tcpdump, I can see below:
12:19:48.827770 ARP, Request who-has 188.8.131.52 tell 184.108.40.206, length 48 out slot1/tmm1 lis=
220.127.116.11 is my loca self ip
Thanks @Leslie_Hubertus .
Hi @SolarJeans ,
What I understood till now ,
- if you're in primary node you can ping ( primary node self ip and floating ip ) that's make sense because it's owned by primary one.
- you can't ping the peer self ip ( 18.104.22.168 ).
- I think the linked article will not help you in this case
I want to know The below results when tring to ping both of devices ?
as I see in this one " 12:14:59.719138 ARP, Request who-has 22.214.171.124 tell 126.96.36.199, length 48 out slot1/tmm2 lis= " you are directed to ask the gateway.
- Could you please to check the assigned Vlan ( 2 local self ips and floating one ) make sure they are a in the same correct Vlan.
- I see you connects both of f5 devices by a L3 switch , so can you try to ping the Big-ips gateway ( Switch interface ip ) which connects with both of Big-ip devices in this subnet ( 172.166.94.x ).
- If I miss some points please explain to me your network connectivity ( Vlans and a simple design ) to see which devices interacts with Bigip.
- Try to ping ( the Local self IP and Floating one )of the Peer device from Peer device itself.
I will wait your response
Hi @SolarJeans ,
Try to add a static ARP entry in both Bigip boxes.
issue this command on tmsh :
#show net vlan
and get the HA vlans MAC addresses on both devices.
Add a static ARP entry for both devices in each other.
Follow this KB to do it : https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K16221
on brief , I want you to give up using dynamic arp to map IP & MAC , and using a static entry instead to define your issue is related to big ip interfaces , of one of your nodes can't resolve arp requests.
Chack again and let me know