Forum Discussion

Marcus_10406
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 09, 2016

Anyway to trace VCMP host info from the VCMP Guest?

Hi Guys,

got a question about VCMP guests. is there anyway I can determine if the LTM I logged in is a VCMP guest? and is there anyway I can find out the VCMP host info by access the guest?

one way I usually used is to check the VLAN configures on the LTM, if the VLAN's are not being tagged or tagged to any interface, then most likely it's a VCMP guest since Layer2 is done on the host level. but is there any other better and more promising way to determine?

and more important, if I found out the LTM is a VCMP guest, is there anyway I can chase out the VCMP host info from this guest?

thanks a lot Marcus

9 Replies

• No. You can't retrieve VCMP Host VLAN information from VCMP guest. Only added VLAN information will be display to VCMP guest.

rglus6970_30822

Does F5 have any plans to correct this? It doesn't seem to make sense that you cannot determine the host the guest resides on from the guest itself.

• is there anyway I can determine if the LTM I logged in is a VCMP guest?

me_user@(my-dc-5250v-vcmp-guest-1)(cfg-sync In Sync)(Active)(/Common)(tmos) show /sys hardware | grep -A 1 Platform
    Platform
      Name  BIG-IP vCMP Guest

Marcus_10406

hi epaalx,

thanks for the info. but is there anyway I can pull the VCMP hostname from its guests? in this way, I can find out exactly which host this guest sits on.

sincerely Thanks

John
      Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus

Marcus, Did you ever find an answer to this? I was wondering the same thing.

• is there anyway I can determine if the LTM I logged in is a VCMP guest?

me_user@(my-dc-5250v-vcmp-guest-1)(cfg-sync In Sync)(Active)(/Common)(tmos) show /sys hardware | grep -A 1 Platform
    Platform
      Name  BIG-IP vCMP Guest

Marcus_10406

hi epaalx,

thanks for the info. but is there anyway I can pull the VCMP hostname from its guests? in this way, I can find out exactly which host this guest sits on.

sincerely Thanks

John
      Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus

Marcus, Did you ever find an answer to this? I was wondering the same thing.