Forum Discussion

John_T__Morgan_
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 08, 2015

Advanced AD Query

Hi,

I am attempting to do an AD Query on an attribute of a user logging in through APM.

I need to determine if the attribute in question contains a value or not.

If the attribute contains a value, then the user will get directed one way. If the attribute is empty or null, then I want to send the user down another path.

I can not find any syntax on how to query an attribute in APM.

I think I should be able to enter an expression on the advanced tab of an ad query to determine if there is a null value or not.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

-John

3 Replies

• John - If I understand correctly you looking to use the advanced tab of branch rule to determine how to route a user. This is an example of a check for the existence of a value from a LDAP query. You would need to use a AD session variable instead of the ldap session variable but the basic structure of the check to see if a value exists is like this:

expr { [mcget {session.ldap.last.attr.unixHomeDirectory}] != "" }

I've never tried or thought of using the check on a branch rule of the query item itself, but I would think it would work (and I might start using it if it does). I tend to do the branch selection with an item following the query itself mostly to keep operations broken out so I remember what everything does.

John_T__Morgan_
      Thanks for the reply. Waht I am actually looking for is whether or not there is a value in the attribute "extensionAttribute15". I am using this: expr { [mcget {session.ad.last.attr.extensionAttribute15}] != "" } But I get the following error "Rule evaluation failed with error: syntax error in expression " [mcget {session.ad.last.attr.extensionAttribute15}] = "" ": extra tokens at end of expression" So, I'm not sure if I actually have an extra token or if I just have a syntax error in the formation of the variable name. -John But i get an error
      Chris_17748
      Are you getting the error when you try to save the the expression or when it evaluates? I'm wondering if the data stored in that attribute is a data type that has to be handled differently.